Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the recent post about cranks/harnesses catching larger walleye than spoons on avarage i am looking to mix it up a bit. we toyed around last year with 3-way swivels, reef runner/rapala on bottom and spoon on top. we didn't stay with it long enough to see any real results because the spoon bite was so great. but ive decided im going to deicate 2 rods to this method of fishing reguardless of the results. im thinking of running cranks on bottom and spoon/harness on top.

do i need to let out more line to to reach the depth of the dive curves? in other words, i know the crank and spoon/harness will have more drag being pulled thru the water than just the crank. is it enough drag to bother letting out more line? how much do you suggest? thanks for any replys:D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
ez...no answer for you on the dive curve....but another question. Will you run the same length leader top and bottom?

I have been thinking about exploring the threeway set up also. Parmaangler fished with me a week ago and he brought it up.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
Running a deep crank with a spoon on top will cause more drag I would say let out anothe 8-10 feet and you should be fine, it's hard to say but a trolling style flutter spoon isn't going to create a huge difference, if anything running a 3 way will just attract more fish to the presentation and if you run it the same as you alway do you will still be above your fish, which is what you want to do anyways, so a foot or two higher in the column expecially how clear the water is shouldn't make that much of a difference.

To answer the question about leader size, I usually go 5-6 on the bottom for the crank and 3 or 4 foot on the top just make sure the top one is a foot or two shorter, leader legnth depends on how big your boat is and how far you can step back to net fish, longer is better IMO but sometimes you may struggle with the netting end of it, you'll just have to compare how long your leaders are on your dispey's I would say keep the bottom the same as those leaders and you'll be A okay.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
An easier way to run that set up is to ditch the 3 way for a barrel swivel with a bead above it. After the swivel put on a 5-6 ft leader with the crank on the end. Let the crank out to desired length. Take another leader just like a dipsey or jet would use. Attach spoon or harness to one end and simply put the other snap aound the main line and snap itshut. Put the spoon or harness in the water making sure it does not tangle and let it slide down the main line to the barrel swivel/bead. This will save alot of time and tangle messes that are typical with 3 ways.

One of my favorites it to run a little ripper and a spoon behind a dipsey. Can be a killer when conditions call for it. Just make sure to let it out SLOW. I just start it in the water making sure there are no tangles, I set the drag just loose enough for it to slip slowly into the depths I want it, then just snug the drag to regular tension.

Scott

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
Hey thanks for that setup Scott, I've never ran one that way. Good stuff dude I'll give it a shot on sunday.

Two thumbs up on that one bro.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Scott

I like that set up also..... thanks.. were gonna have to definatly incorparate that...

so ,same consept as a slider on the down rigger!!! much easier ans less hasel!!!

Kev another great thing we gotta put to use ,eh?

Frank

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
eh? I knew you had some Canadian decent along with the super polish genes, LOL. Heck yeah I'm running that program sunday.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Great Team Kielbasa is now becoming team Kielbasa with a Team Molson partnership?? Eh

Just make sure you are drinking Molson light those stringers in your ranger are strong but to be honest at the last tourney I saw a tear dripping down the side of your boat, just was not sure if it was afraid of the weight it was about to carry or the 60 mph runs in 3-5s that frank was about to put it through:)

Side note I can make fat jokes because I am not only a member of the chub club, I am the President!!!!!!!

Scott

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
:D You know......I hear all kinds of people talking about not being able to plane out some boats but even with our two big behinds in that boat it just freagin goes man, no matter how big the waves or how rough and choppy it is, that Polish Bull 621 just pounds through them like a raped ape, expecially with Frank behing the wheel.

We drive the boat but we don't beat on it at all, it's made to cruise through big waves it's great in rough water from every angle.

It's definetely Fat Kid Friendly. Ohh those wheren't tears it was sweat from the day before :p

Can I be a Vice President???

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
discrimination!!!!!!

banjos rocked!!!!!!

LOL...

too funny..... Fat does fly!!! imagine me behind a bass boat with a 300hp..

Frank

·
Sea Food Eater
271 Posts
I started using the 3-way many years ago and still use it today;I'll usualy have one rod out with this setup. And use it when the FF is showing a huge concetration of fish.
Yes I usualy let out about 10' or 15' more for the desired depth.
I keep the leaders about the same length(a couple feet shorter than your rod length);the reason for this is when netting a double you want the fish real close to each other for ease of netting ; when the leaders are 2' to 3' different its much more challenging but can still be accomplished.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
dayquon? is that Urban Dacron line?

Where you have you been Big B? You fishing this weekend?

Hope the new little one is doing good. you getting any sleep yet

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
good point fish tale...

but even @ 2 feet... we have such a large net that i think we should be able to pull that off... them 03 fish im not worried about losing .... its the biggin that gets priorty first!!!

remember , we have to eat too..... just better than everyone else!!! LOL

Brian how is ur new little fishin partner doin??? future father and son team i see there!!!!

Frank

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Scott.......thanks for your post here. I have tried threeways in past and often ended with tangled mess. What you are describing seems to make sense.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Along that same line of thinking, I would imagine that one could also use an Elberta Clipper (free slider) w/ a leader behind it for the spoon somewhere up the line from the crank, and still use the barrel swivel idea in front of the crank...which would stop the Clipper...hmmm....

They work great when putting sliders on riggers...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Urban dacron- thats a great way of describing it!

Kevin and Frank the little guy is as healthy as can be and he's really being a great kid and only getting up every 2-3 hours around the clock to eat, the wife and I have been alternating nights.

I fished Cleveland both last friday and saturday and got enough eyes both days to make you sick with some bigger fish on friday and couldnt find a big one on Saturday. Im going to be out Sunday either cleveland or east. What are you guys doing??? Im kinda leaning toward Geneva/Conneaut

1 - 19 of 19 Posts