close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dish/Direct/ Or Time Warner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by c75, Feb 25, 2008.

1. c75

c75

Got TW now, HBO, STO, Hi-Def package which has total of only 24 HD channels, 2 HD tv's one of those with DVR, and 1 "reg" tv...pay about $80.00 and some change each month...actually pay $150 but thats with phone and internet in there...which we're looking at dumping phone and cable

Un satisfied with new HD cable service, MANY MANY problems with boxes, programming "hiccuping" while your watching --pausing, etc..think its time to move on....

Checked on Direct TV yesterday...same package deal, once promos run out, is about $100/month, plus a $220.00 fee to "walk in the door" DVR set up/HD etc....

Looked at Dish today....only $86.99 for what I'm looking for and no start up fees....

Had direct tv before, and yes I dealt with the no tv in bad storms etc.....but with TW, I still have problems anyways....

For those with Dish...what do you think? how satisfied? how many HD channels do yo have?

though I just was told my co-worker that I will also need them to instal a 2nd dish for the HD?

2. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

I had Dish for quite a while and loved it. Only went out in the heaviest of storms. Their DVR is unbeatable.

3. only problem i have with direct tv is that there are sooooo many channels i don't even watch and gettin local stuff is a pain and you have to pay extra for it.

and if you live in the sticks like i do where cable isn't available, you're pretty much screwed with anything other dial up for internet access.

if i could, i'd go back to time warner in a heart beat probably.

4. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I also have Time Warner and cannot wait until the day when I can get rid of it. Only a few HD Channels. Box never works right...and this is the third one they've replaced. Internet is getting slower everyday and I'm paying for the fastest speed they offer.

If I had my choice, it would have to be DirecTV for their HD package and AT&T for phone and internet. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with what I've got because I cant put up a dish in an apartment complex haha.

-Jason

5. Go with the Dish TV. I have the HD DVR and not one problem in the 2yrs i have had it. I use to have Direct TV and the dvr hard drive would take a dump every now and then. Would lose all my stored movies. Jim

6. I have direct tv and really like it.Free local channels,tons of HD channels,Xm music and the dvr is great.I've got 5 boxes,3 at my main house and 2 at my cabin.My bill is $100 a month.I hear they are launching a on demand service in the not to distant future.

7. c75

c75

do you have the 2 dishes or just one?

8. directv has a lot more HD CHANNELS!!

9. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

Funny story, I had dish a few years ago and had the football package so my house was the hangout on sundays. We all got together for the superbowl and woops i didnt get it because I didnt have local channels it didnt dawn on any of us I wouldnt get it untill we were all set up. Little of topic but there it is lol

10. ScottB

ScottB SW Ohio

Ive got the Dish HD package. They have the best HD DVR out there right now. I think our bill is around $90 a month, and yes I do have a second dish. I think they actually have an exta wide dish that will get all 3 sat locations but I had a spare dish that I put up when I signed up for HD 2 years ago. They should give you all hardware required to get HD including the 2nd dish if required.

DirectTV says that they have the most HD programming, but I think they are including local channels in that total which you won't be able to get anyways (except your own locals). I get my local HD channels though an antenna hooked to the DISH DVR, works great. Shows up in the guide like all the other channels, I can record them also. Dish has been adding HD channels very fast, we get all the biggies: ESPN, ESPN2, BIG10, Science, History, A&E, NFL.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/programming/index.shtml

I think you will be happy with Dish or DirectTV.

11. When i changed over to Dish tv they only put one dish up, but use 2 of the arms that sit in front of the dish.
    Jim

12. Direct TV here. I switched from Time Warner and have zero complaints with the service and the price was exactly what they said it would be (it seems many times when you get the actual bill it is $5-$10 higher).

The service has only gone out twice and it was a short time frame - 15-30 minutes; both times the weather was wicked. I've been surprised how good the recption has been actually.

13. man i guess im in the minority i love my time warner cable. i had dish for like 5 years and one day it went out they said i had a problem with the cable runnin from my dish into my house and it would be $400 for them to come out and fix it needless to say i got tw that next day.

14. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

DirecTv by far.
    More HD than Dish.
    More Sports options than Dish.

Never heard of anyone being charged a $220 fee for DVR set up.
    I don't own one but have read that DirecTv's DVR is technically advanced over the Dish version.

15. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

KaGee,
    Dishnetwork, charges $199 for it's HD-DVR and $49 for it's regular HD receiver for existing customers. They will hookup four rooms free for new customers and give them a reduced rate on programming for several months. I guess it doesn't pay to be a preferred customer...! :confused: Direct TV usually offers the same type of deal.

I'm not too sure about the programming between the two, But Dish network does have quite a few sports packages including PPV's. Dish networks HD programming is competitive with Direct TV and they're constantly adding more.

The Dishnetwork HD-DVR is very versatile...besides recording, it can be interactive with the company itself to make payments, order programming and shows incoming phone calls with a log, just to name a few. ;)

Just my .02 ;)

16. KaGee

My son has the DirecTv DVR. He paid $199 for it, but the install and set-up was free.

I have been with DirecTv for almost as long as they have been on air. I have the HD package. I have 2 HD receivers. The first one I got 1/2 price for being a "preferred" customer. The second one came no-charge. They just called last week wanting to upgrade my first receiver... again at no-charge to me. I wonder if I can sweet talk a DVR deal out of them... hmmmmm. ;)

For the record... this morning my dish signal went out due to the snow... first time all winter. Looked out the back door and there was around 8" stacked up on it! Time to get out the broom! :D

17. c75

c75

Well for right now, I will probably will be sticking with TW for now, if I drop the cable the cost of phone and internet will go up....if I drop the phone only, the cost of internet and cable will go up, so for right now, as long as I keep all three it is the most cost effective.....

18. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Same here, I paid $199 for the HD-DVR and $50 for the upgraded Dish itself and all installation was no charge. It's setup to record to a second TV so you can watch your primary at the same time.
    A heavy snow can be a problem but as you said, nothing a broom can take of. So, that's a good point in itself...the dish should be mounted in a location that's easily accessible...! :D

19. KaGee

Mother nature took care of clearing the dish before I could get out there. Thank you God! :D

20. I switched over to Time Warner from Direct TV about 6 months ago and now I can say I made a big mistake. When I switched, I was told I could have the cable and internet installed immediately but would have to wait 10 days for the home phone. The guy came out and hooked up the internet and cable with no problems. Ten days later, a different guy came out to hook up the home phone, after he was done, he said all he had to do is call a number and my phone would be working. When he called the number, he said there was a mix up and it would be another 5 days before my phone could be hooked up. I made another appointment, but the guy didn't show up in the time frame that he said he would. To make a long story short, I didn't get my home phone hooked up for almost 2 months. While all of this was going on, I hadn't received any bills and I just thought it was because my service was still being worked on. Was I wrong! Time Warner had been billing me, but the bills were in my grandfather's name and his old PO Box number (he passed away 7 years ago so I have no idea how this happened). I found this out when I received a letter stating I owed over $200 in late fees! I then tried calling the local Time Warner office only to find out they have no phone. I ended up driving to the local office and getting a supervisor's number so I could get this taken care of. After all of this, I thought things were getting back to normal, then..... I receive a letter stating I was no longer going to get my service at the same rate because I hadn't provided them with a previous bill from when I direct TV. So again, I called a 1-800 number and talked to a freaking computer for 20 minutes before actually talking to a human. The lady explained to me that the guy who was at my house in August, (it was now Dec.) told me that I was getting a special rate because I converted over from Direct TV (he never did). I am still in the process of trying to get all of this resolved.
    As far as the actual TV goes. I like that TW has the local forecast on the weather channel and I get the outdoor channel which I didn't with Direct TV. I do not like the fact that I don't get the Big Ten network and I often have times when the screen freezes. All in all, I wish I would have stayed with Direct TV