Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DirectTV internet?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WINNER, Dec 8, 2004.

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

I just bought a house in the country. :D Cable is not an option and dial up...we all know about that...I need some info about DirectTV's internet.
    Does anyone use the service now?
    How fast is it?
    Any other comments or concerns?

Thanks in advance,
  2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I've never used it personally, but I have a buddy that had it...said it was awful, and went back to dialup.

See if you can't get wireless broadband in that area. Some remote areas offer it, and that's what he switched to (he lives outside of Marysville)

3. I think it would be better than dialup as long as you don't intend on using it for playing online games. Satellite internet and and online multiplayer games sucks due to the slow ping times(the time it takes your computer to send a electronic packet from your pc to the gaming server on the net and back to your pc). Imagine you were playing a first person shooter, you shoot, then there is a delay on getting that packet to the server but the other person has a great connection. Well even though you shot first your packet got there second and therefore you die! lol. If your just browsing the web and downloading music or something I'd think it would be better than dialup.
  4. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

I have had it for a few years and run around 800kb, sometimes faster, but never have tested slower than 600kb.
    Shake your buddy must of had his setup wrong. There is a setting on the oneway to run only thru the phone and not back thru the satellite. I haven't used the 2 way but hear the speed is about the same.
    Here at work I run around 1800kb, wish I had that at home :D
  5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I have onlt heard good things until I read this post. I think it is a little pricey though. art least the last time I checked it out. I may have been looking at a package though!
  6. i had it and have a system for sale the down speed is a blast but the up speed is at most 12 to 20 kbs a sec and there is a fair user cap that only allows u to get so much ever so many hours i think its something like 250 meg in 4 hours unless your wanting to download alot of stuff id stay wit phone line o almost forgot about 20 minn or so out of a bad rain storm u cant uses the net
  7. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

That is interesting hearing about how well some of you like it. I am coming from experince with VSAT which is pretty much the corporate version of that and for my purposes I hated it. It does in deed have high download speeds, and the upload speeds should be about half of the download so for downloading actual files it works well.

The problems I had with it was due to latency, which is the 1-10 second pause between when you send a request and the results get back to you. Not a big deal if you are just downloading files but when you need to telnet into another computer, trying to type commands is frustrating. Imagine you blindly type your command and then you have to sit there and wait for what you just typed to show up on the screen. If it is wrong trying to backspace is nightmare with the same scenario. I also hated remotely taking over a screen from a customer, you move the mouse and then you have to sit there and wait what seems like forever until you actually see it move.

Anyways becasue of thsoe scenarios I would have to agree with Triton, this would be horrible on an online game where getting your packet to the game server and the results back as quickle as possible would be critical. For simple surfing the net and checking Email it is probably better then dial-up. Just my two cents for all that it is worth.
  8. I've had the 2-way for about 6 weeks. Download is pretty good. Upload is slow. Overall, is much better that dial-up, but not as good as cable. Before I moved, I had road runner that was running hot and it rocked!!

I wanted to wait for broadband over electric lines, but couldn't wait for another year or so.

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I am still confused and I am going to look at some more options before I decide...