Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you have a dipsy set on 3.5 and have 165 ft back how far out to side of the boat is it at not the depth. The chart shows the depth but how far out to the side are they at the different settings ok 0 straight back but how about 1,2,3,
anybody have a chart for that
Thanks
The crab

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
No chart, but here is my guess and why I think so. A dipsy on a #3 setting with 165' out goes down to 52'.

A dipsy on a #0 setting with 115' out goes to 52'.

So the #3 setting dipsy is about 50' out from the boat (165-115).

Thoughts?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been a part of similar discussion and I've never met anyone who had a chart with the horizantal distance, don't think it is truly known. That said, from stories it's a lot farther out to the side than you think, quite possibly more than the 52' Misdirection is estimating. That's coming from stories from guys who have crossed lines with others in 'close quarters' fishing.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
One way to figure it out would be to tie 52' of fishing line and a bobber to your dipsy and see how far from the boat it was when you put your line out, but then you'd need to guess how far away the bobber was:confused:

·
475 Posts
Well I used some things I learndid in skhool....
Useing some trig. At #3 setting at 165' of line the most it would go is 32'. This is assuming the dipsy dives sideways at a 30 degree angle. I'm currently in the prosess of making my own charts for dipsy's...if I could ever stop fishing and dedicate 2 hours to do it I'd have it by now. I'll put this in mind though and when ever I get to it I'll post it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Don't forget you are a dealing with a compound angle. It is down, out and back X number of feet in each direction. Speed and currents will affect each of those characteristics from one side of the boat to the other. I can have the starboard side pulling the line out at a 35-40 degree angle away from me while the port side dipsy is nearly straight down even though they are both set to a 3.5 setting and I am running straight downhill with the waves. In my opinion it is not worth trying to calculate all that out.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
475 Posts
Yep, I know all that. should've said that it was a rough estimate, assumming you are going in a strait line with no current, and no waves. and without breaking out my Calculus books.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Or you just consult the trolling bible and/ or goto their website and copy their chart. That's that I did for my starting points, but 52' is what they have listed at 165' on a 3 setting:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts