Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this weekend when ever I pulled my dipsy in my leader was twisted around my release
I've been running 6 - 6 1/2 ft leaders 20 lb florcarbon stinger spoons with split ring and snap clip on stinger end
tried both direct tie to the dipsy end and snap swivel
setting on 3 size 1 and 0
Any Ideas?
Thanks for the help
Geowol

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
Your probably letting it out too fast. The bait is getting in front of the dipsy and tangleing. Let it out slow, against your clicker, that way the bait stays behind the dipsy.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
Your probably letting it out too fast. The bait is getting in front of the dipsy and tangleing. Let it out slow, against your clicker, that way the bait stays behind the dipsy.
That was my first guess.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think what is happening is one of two things or maybe both. You are either setting your dipsy's out to fast or you are turning to sharp & causing them to stall out on the inside of the turn & twist. For best results with dipsy's speed needs to be almost 2 m.p.h. & your line needs to have constant tension on it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks
I'm doing all of above so I need some more dipsy time thanks for the help
geowol

·
Registered
210 Posts
Too Fast is first guess ALSO if your using the rings, the tabs that hold them on tend to break off or wear. When that happens, they will spin. I, and many others Glue them on wiht either shoe goo or gorilla glue. It REALLY helps.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Loosen the drag to deploy dipseys. If you free spool 'em, they'll flip over on themselves....and wrap the line over the release.

Not a good way to find this out when a fish hits...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
As others have said it is most likely because of HOW they are being deployed - however let me add that the biggest cause of a wrapped dipsey is ERRATIC SPEED CHANGES WHEN LETTING IT OUT. You can absolutely "SPEED SET" the dipseys as long as you do it under CONSTANT SPEED / TENSION - clicker on and thumb on spool. The "enemy" is a "herky / jerky" setout with stops / starts.

I've also had less problems with dipseys getting "wrapped" when using snubbers. I use the Amish Outfitters clear snubbers EVERY TIME with dipseys.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Loosen the drag to deploy dipseys. If you free spool 'em, they'll flip over on themselves....and wrap the line over the release.

Not a good way to find this out when a fish hits...
I agree with BFG, just set the clicker, loosen your drag and let in out slowly. We never have problems since doing it this way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts