Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are using #1 dipsys in skinny water let's say 22ft will you be able to effectively target fish in 15-18 ft range? I'm wondering if the boat messes with them because your not back very far???

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If you are using #1 dipsys in skinny water let's say 22ft will you be able to effectively target fish in 15-18 ft range? I'm wondering if the boat messes with them because your not back very far???

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app
im sure its not the most effective way of catching them but i have caught a bunch of walleye on 3 setting 40 back which puts the bait around 20 feet.

use them without rings so you can let a little more line out and see if it works

·
Registered
769 Posts
In that shallow water you are losing both distance from the boat on the spread setting #2 or #3 & the line out on depth setting. I think there are better ways to fish in that situation (little boards & inline weights or shallow jets or stick baits).

·
Registered
927 Posts
This is the first year I have tried running size 1 dipsy divers in shallow water and I have learned the good and bad of how they work on my boat. I have found that my front dipsy rods, holders 4' ahead of the motor, on a 3 setting 25-40 back catch a ton of fish, usually more than the rest of the rods combined once I get it dialed in. The back dipsy rods where the line ends up a ft or two behind the motor is always the least productive. It makes netting fish a lot easier if you use the front rod holder for dipsy when the board rods behind it are in rotating holders that can be turned 30-45 degrees back.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I suppose they would work but any type board with inline weights would probably be a better option. but you could try maby 40 to 60 ft leads on a 3.5 setting then run 20 ft shorter on a 2.5 setting and see if you catch fish.

of course you could get in the depth of water you want to fish like 18 ft and let out line until you start bumping bottom that would give you a good starting point. you could use a 3 or 3.5 setting to do this then just run 20 ft less line on your 2 or 2.5 setting. then just figure about 3 ft less depth for each 10 ft of line out. just some thoughts here.
sherman

·
Registered
215 Posts
You can also use a size 0 dipsey and run much longer leads in shallow water to get the baits away from the boat
100 back on 3 setting is 22 feet with the ring
Make sure to check your line counters for accuracy.:T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts