Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new to Dipsy Divers but have used similar devices fishing for salmon in rivers so I do understand how they are suppose to work. Here is my problem..... I was fishing a size "0" last weekend. It pulled my spoon down but not out to the left or right. I was running 14 pound mono at 2.5ish. I had the dials all way out to "3" but it just pulled straight down and back. Any ideas, solutions would be greatly appreciated.
CW

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
283 Posts
At 2.5 the dipsy should be moving out.

They will spread and give your lines separation. but the dipsies aren't going to plane out way to the side like a planer board at any speed.

Did you have one out on each side? Oftentimes a cross current will push them back in on one side and out on the other.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
CW

If I was to guess I bet you had the wrong 3 setting for that side of the boat. The diver was probably pulling to the inside of the boat and not away.

Scratch the mono. I highly recommend 20-30# braid for your divers. Just way to much scretch to run and trip them effectively.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Dipsy's pull out on an elliptical curve. So while your looking at it on the boat, it probably didn't seem to be pulling to the side very much. Dipsy's go down and then flair to the side.

Their are a few websites that have a nice picture of this...I'll look for one....but if you had it on a 2.5 setting, it was getting out there...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
11,333 Posts
Possibility that the spoon/ lure were pulling was too large for the small "0" Dipsey to handle, especially at the speed you described.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts