Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
sparkeye
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive read and herd tons of different things but im hoping people on here can help sort this out. some of my friends swear on trolling a dipsy that matches or close to matching the crank or harness there running couple other people i fished with/ talked to only fish with black. ive caught fish on every dipsy i own no matter the color it more so depended on the harness or crank color and speed in my opinion. but im new so u long time guys what do you think

·
Eat-Fish-Hunt
1,624 Posts
I personaly prefer the dark colors...black or dark purple. I'm not trying to attract the fish to my dipsy... I want it to focus in on my bait. But I believe the most important thing is to run long leaders 10-14ft in length.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
We use only black. Years back we tried to match the lure. The crutial thing is stay away from the metalic colors in clear water, unless your fishing deeper than 50'.

Leader length, depends on where your at. In the islands most run 6', east of Cleveland 8', then the further east you go the longer the leaders.... up to Snooks 14'ers (which are a pain in any sort of wind).

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Either buy or paint your dipsy's black. Same thing with the true trips, I use their smoke color.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
AKA Dnavarroj
1,364 Posts
I run all sorts of colors. Bright dark, u like the bright because my theara is the light reflects off dipsy hits my crank, spoon, or harness , equals fish in the boat. Been doing it for years. Still catch fish. No complaints. I believe it goes by preference of the fisherman. I haven't had a fish complain to me yet. Just my 2 cents.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
I agree with Jim. I run strictly black. How much money do you want to spend on different colors of dipsies? Since I run 8 dipsies, would I have to own 8 X all the various colors out there? I let the fish focus on the harness behind the dipsy. Not to put anyone down dnav, but I've caught more than 53 walleyes in just the last two trips alone. Maybe you might be limiting yourself by running the shiney ones?

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I don't know for sure if one color is better than the other. but it does seem like my luck has been better since I started using green metallic with my green harnesses and purple metallic with my purple harnesses. but I have caught many fish with these color divers with many color harnesses. and I have done good with plain old black divers. so I think it is more what you have confidence in. and I will keep running my greens with green metallic divers and my purples with purple metallic divers. I just have more confidence in them but that's still just my opinion. and I seem to catch just as many fish with a 6' leader over say a 12' leader. I think the color of the harness and speed plays an important role I what you catch.
sherman

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've seen a lot of debates over this both among walleye and salmon fishermen. Some people find that a particular color scheme, whether light or dark, consistently put more fish in the boat. Some find no color schemes work better than others.
I have a variety of dipseys, and generally choose the dark ones when I run dark baits, and light ones when I run bright baits. But I don't know that it makes any difference. Generally though I am running my dipseys deep, 50'+ down.
The way I figure it color probably doesn't matter to much, even for big eyed fish like walleye. Dipseys are "loud" to a fishes lateral line relative to other presentations. They make a lot of turbulence and the fish are either going to be spooked by that turbulence or have their predator response triggered, at least that's my guess.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Its just like lure colors.....keep switching colors till you get a hit then go with it.

Don't know why there is a debate. Its different every trip. Do you think salmon guys only run one kind.....I don't think so......they are there to attract as well as dive.

Just like lures carry multiple colors.

·
Capt Jeff
1,710 Posts
I run all black , no need for flash at the diver .
Geneva and east long leaders are a must in the clear water .i run 10~12 foot leaders . Sure 6 foot leaders will work but 12's will get the job done with much more fish for your crew !

·
gray panther
701 Posts
I fish almost all the time in West end. i use whatever color I have. Some buddies use various colors, same as lure, some use only flashy ones and some use only Black (It's almost religion for the ones who only use black), and I haven't seen any difference. Some days one boat catches the most, then someone else and occasionally even I catch the most ;-) I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Oh, not to put anyone down workdog but last 2 times out we caught more than 75 eyes and I don't think that means a thing.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
I fish almost all the time in West end. i use whatever color I have. Some buddies use various colors, same as lure, some use only flashy ones and some use only Black (It's almost religion for the ones who only use black), and I haven't seen any difference. Some days one boat catches the most, then someone else and occasionally even I catch the most ;-) I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Oh, not to put anyone down workdog but last 2 times out we caught more than 75 eyes and I don't think that means a thing.
No offense at all Bob. I was merely talking about sample size upon which basing a theory. I probably didn't say it in the most carefully worded language, and for that I am sorry. Use whatever you feel comfortable with. But, if ya run a consistent color you don't need to buy as many. ;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have been fishing Erie for about 5 years and paying attention here about the same and if Workdog says black dipseys here out east,Geneva to Conny then black it is,I would bet there are very few fishermen who have caught more walleyes on dipseys than Jeff.Him and his crew have few equals when it comes to dipsey diver fishing out east.No disrespect to anyone else but he can fill the boat with anyone when it comes to a dipsey bite.

·
sparkeye
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
last week i ran 2 black divers and 4 shinny that matched my harness we caught 15 in about 5hrs losing 3.this weekend i ran the complete opposite we caught 17 with 9 lost. in the same spot. but the weather was totally different and so was our troll due to waves i got more experimenting to do

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
last week i ran 2 black divers and 4 shinny that matched my harness we caught 15 in about 5hrs losing 3.this weekend i ran the complete opposite we caught 17 with 9 lost. in the same spot. but the weather was totally different and so was our troll due to waves i got more experimenting to do
Well, you've got Jim Stedke who a lot of people on here have great respect for saying black. You've got WorkDog who puts tons of fish in the box saying black...that's good enough for me:D. But your comparing two different outings with completely different lake conditions during one of the best walleye fishing many of us have experienced in years. Where I think you'll see the difference is on the calm days where the lake is clear. The black dipsy will out perform over time...

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
I haven't pulled a dipsy in 5 years or so. But when I did, I used the clear ones most of the time. Didn't have black paint so I painted others rustoleum grey. They worked as well.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Well, you've got Jim Stedke who a lot of people on here have great respect for saying black. You've got WorkDog who puts tons of fish in the box saying black...that's good enough for me:D. But your comparing two different outings with completely different lake conditions during one of the best walleye fishing many of us have experienced in years. Where I think you'll see the difference is on the calm days where the lake is clear. The black dipsy will out perform over time...

Listen here Miss, :p
Taking myself out of the equation for a minute :C , let me see if I can explain what I failed at so miserably the first time (hopefully third time is a charm). :D We've had a good back and forth here, on dipsy color philosophy, between several folks who have some time pulling dipsies/jets/trips. Some have found that bright colors work for them, and that is great! Good on ya! Continue to use what works for you. However, many who have viewed this thread are probably new to dipsies and looking for help to put together a dipsy program...maybe for the first time. So, to them I would say...over the long run...I have observed the following:
1) Most walleye tournament guys/gals enter tournaments to win.
2) Most walleye charter guys/gals run charters to catch fish for their customers.
3) Most tournament and charter folks don't stay in business long if they don't catch fish.
4) Most walleye pros and charters that I have observed who use dipsies use BLACK dipsies.
5) Will brightly colored dipsies catch fish? Yep. But, over the long run, considering the above to be accurate statements, black dipsies will win out over the bright ones.
So, for a new fisherperson to dipsies, to save time, expense and confusion in getting set up, I would recommend black dipsies.
There, how'd I do this time??? ;)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Listen here Miss, :p
Taking myself out of the equation for a minute :C , let me see if I can explain what I failed at so miserably the first time (hopefully third time is a charm). :D We've had a good back and forth here, on dipsy color philosophy, between several folks who have some time pulling dipsies/jets/trips. Some have found that bright colors work for them, and that is great! Good on ya! Continue to use what works for you. However, many who have viewed this thread are probably new to dipsies and looking for help to put together a dipsy program...maybe for the first time. So, to them I would say...over the long run...I have observed the following:
1) Most walleye tournament guys/gals enter tournaments to win.
2) Most walleye charter guys/gals run charters to catch fish for their customers.
3) Most tournament and charter folks don't stay in business long if they don't catch fish.
4) Most walleye pros and charters that I have observed who use dipsies use BLACK dipsies.
5) Will brightly colored dipsies catch fish? Yep. But, over the long run, considering the above to be accurate statements, black dipsies will win out over the bright ones.
So, for a new fisherperson to dipsies, to save time, expense and confusion in getting set up, I would recommend black dipsies.
There, how'd I do this time??? ;)
Considering were agreeing with one another, I run black dipsy and TT's, and suggested to Josh (op) to run black, I didn't have any problems with your first post:cool:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts