Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
30# braid to the dypsey. Way easier to trip due to less stretch. And gets them deeper when needed.

Some salmon guys run mono to the dypsey when fish are shallow so they can let out more line and get them farther from the boat when less that 40'. That is where we mostly fish walleye so mono may have a place. I just don't use it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I subscribe to GottaGoFishin theory. Can’t usually find black, so I buy clear and paint dipsey and snubber flat black. Then it’s just the lure color I’m changing. But if I knew they were hitting purple and had purple, I’d use it. Black is just less intrusive to me. I do always run 1 gold dipsey out back with black oring, it catches walleye too. But I use it because the steelhead always seem to hit it. Definitely braid, before I switched from mono we could never get dipseys to trip. Really wears you out reeling in if they don’t trip.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
What type of line do you all use for trolling dipsys? We have 30 pound braid on our trolling rods but it seems like everyone uses mono? I'm no pro, so looking for input. Thanks
30# PP like most of those above… I use 20# Berkley Big Game for the leaders and don’t run snubbers. Nothing against them, just never put one on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have many different divers… I use 4 different colors….. mainly for ease of setting. That way it is known what position they are without having to look. I also switched to all of the Dreamweaver Deeper Divers - no rings to deal with…
Can I ask, the Dreamweavers... Do they dive similar to the Dipsey dive charts?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Personally I switched to the NFN Dipsy Hack (check YouTube) and like it quite well. Setups are quick and easy. I painted numbers on my dipsies, 1-6 corresponding to the location of my rod holders and the dipsy setting. Dipsy #1 goes on the rod in rod holder 1 (the front most rod on the right side of my boat) with a “3 right” setting. Dipsy #2 set to “1-1/2 right” on the rod in rod holder #2 at the back right corner. Dipsy #3 set to 0 out the back. And so on around the left:port side of the boat. Clip a Spoon or crank bait on the line and let it out on a 12-25’ leader. Clip them on the loop with the small stainless s-clips and in the Water they go! No snubbers, remove the dipsy when it gets to the boat - a quick disconnect at the s-clip- and continue to reel in the fish. It allows for longer leaders and no hassle netting! Especially good for shorter rods!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I use 30 braid all year round. For trolling anyway. Dipseys or planners. No swivels. 15- 20 liter line. 5 or 6 ft. On the dipsys. Never used the snubber. No 1 dipsys straight out the back. And no. 0. Out the sides.

·
742 Posts
I also have been using dipsys for over 40 yrs. At first the only color u could find was orange. Then you could find a couple of greens. I caught a lot of eyes on them. That being said, I now use mostly black or dark purple. When I am targeting steel I love glo in dark. Backup color is watermelon especially for steel, but for eyes too. I don't think color is a big deal for eyes unless the water is very very clear, and or shallow. Dipsys are not a stealth tactic!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts