Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What dipsey rod do you recommend for Erie walleyes?

I fish trout and salmon quite a bit, and used my Talora's when fishing walleyes a few weeks back. These rods seemed like over kill, and made it super hard to detect bites and were no fun when reeling in the fish. Are you all running lighter rods with dipseys?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Are you running H or MH on your salmon rods ? If so you may see a little improvement going to a M action rod but smaller walleyes can be hard to see on a rod unless your looking at it right when they hit . You can back off on your dipsey tension but if you get wave surge and false trips that can be frustrating .

For me personally on my walleye diver rods I like 8' medium TDRs with hi vis yellow power pro 30/8 . The hi vis line makes noticing line angle changes due to fish being drug way easier .

Heck , I run 9' medium TDRs with wire on mag dipseys for salmon and haven't felt like I needed MH ever . But I've only made a couple trips for salmon with that setup .

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I’ve used the cheap yellow eagle claws for years with no issues. 10’ on the outside and 7 or 8’ on the inside.
i run 9' 8' 7' rods but most guys use all the same length rods. i would recommend the daiwa wilderness trolling rods in med or even med/lt. 19.99 each at fishusa.com. the med is what i use for my 8' rod but i use another brand in med/lt for my 7' rod. if you use all the same rods the 8' med/lt is what i would get.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know a lot of guys use the same length rods but I favor the couple feet of separation. I feel it helps prevent tangles and helps newbies distinguish what goes where. Lol.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
What dipsey rod do you recommend for Erie walleyes?

I fish trout and salmon quite a bit, and used my Talora's when fishing walleyes a few weeks back. These rods seemed like over kill, and made it super hard to detect bites and were no fun when reeling in the fish. Are you all running lighter rods with dipseys?

Thanks

John
I run medium action 8 1/2' rods. You can always run the fishing bells on the tips of your rods to detect fish. They work great, especially if your into shorts...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Eat-Fish-Hunt
1,632 Posts
Ditto with the 8ft med TDR’s. Great Dipsy rod. I think the MH are a little stiff. Mediums Load good even at slower speeds. If you go 7ft than I like the MH-the mediums just little too light for my liking with the dipsys.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
Ditto with the 8ft med TDR’s. Great Dipsy rod. I think the MH are a little stiff. Mediums Load good even at slower speeds. If you go 7ft than I like the MH-the mediums just little too light for my liking with the dipsys.
I don't mean any offense here. but I wouldn't go heavier than med even with a 7' rod. I use 9' 8' and 7' rods for my dipsies. the 7' is a med/lt to get the right bend in it. the 9' and 8' are med. a 7' mh is a little stiff for walleye for my liking. but this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you want one piece rods? My own preference is to use one piece rods. How big is your boat? If you are fishing from an 18' - 20' aluminum boat you probably don't want to go very long as it can be a pain to land fish with a longer rod.

I have 7' TDR's. I have both medium and medium heavy. They both work. I know this year fishusa.com only had MH a-and that is the reason I have a mix....

·
Eat-Fish-Hunt
1,632 Posts
I run Shimano TDR’s. I’ve have run both the 7ft M and MH (1 piece rods) behind dipsys. The mediums felt “stressed” when trolling faster than 2.0mph. And in fact broke one on a steelhead last year. The 7ft MH handle dispys much better at faster speeds IMOP. I have a 19ft Lund and love the 7ft rods for my application. But for a bigger boat running dipsys it would be all 8ft mediums in the TDR for me. Just my preference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also running Shimano TDR MH 7'. Going on a couple years and very happy with them. $29.00 doesn't hurt either. Running boards and divers early season and dipsies now, very happy with them.
RJ

·
Catcher of big fish
632 Posts
Shimano no longer makes a 7’ TDR in medium. I Also prefer the 7’ med TDR, I have a few extras, when those run out I guess it will be something different.
I’ve built up a Wilderness with a new Fuji reel seat and it is an almost duplicate of the old TDR at a comparable price, just takes a little bit of work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the replies. Alot of great info.

I run 17 foot deep V. The shorter rods definitely are easier to run. One or two piece doesn't really matter to me. I store my rods as one piece, so either is fine.

I have a bunch of TDR's - I run those with leadcore for trout and salmon, but never really considered them for dipseys. I am not sure they will be much more sensitive than the Taloras, but I will give it a shot.

I also have Wilderness downrigger rods. Those are very whippy - maybe more along the line of what I am looking for? I did not think they could withstand the drag of the dipsey all day, but know that they work is good to know.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just bought 8 TDR 86mc2c's (lead core rods - so they have SS guides - med with med fast action). Thought about going down to 7' rods but I typically run 6 ft leaders and decided to stick with the 8-8.5 footers. They are replacing my Daiwa telescoping Med Accudepths that came with the combo's I bought at Cabela's several years ago. Reels are very nice, rods ok. They were great for dipsy's but the Daiwa tips are very fragile and break easily and the ceramic inserts pop out, the rod seats are so so - and the rod butts on the cork handled versions broke off too! Got tired of repairing them! Best thing about them is the rod blank (aside from the fragile tip) is it has a relatively small diameter and has great backbone (must be part graphite - couldn't find any info to confirm)! I was surprised at how much more girth there was at the base and throughout the rod of the TDR's. Looking forward to trying them out after all the positive reviews I've read about them.
Trekking pole Fishing rod Fishing reel
Product Nordic walking
Product Bicycle fork Material property Cue stick Rim
Product Pipe Trekking pole

1 - 14 of 14 Posts