Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any sugestions on a decent dipsey rod.The 4 browning rods I got r JUNK the guides are twisting so I gorlia glued them till I can get something different.Anyone have a decent setup thanks

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Okuma Classic Pro CPDR80M
Shimano TDR80M

These are both fine choices and should be no more than $30 - $35 a piece.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I picked up a couple Shimano TDR 80 MH rods from The Rodmakers Shop last year and I love them. ($30) Sensitive tip to provide shock absorbtion and a good backbone. Also use them for in line boards.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I like my new Shimano TDR 8'6" MH 2 piecers. Some may like medium action but I have found the meduim to bend too far for liking with a big dipsey out back, but I am good at keeping drag set right. Medium gives a bit more flex at boat for the final battle. 8' is typically a little short for dispey rod, a little easier to land fish by yourself, but reduced lenght = slightly reduced flex for boat battle too. Most dipsey rods are 8'6 or more....

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Was just calling around yesterday on this very issue. Craig at Erie Outfitters has the Okuma 8' and 8'6" Classic Pro for around $25. Fished dipsys and inline boards on a friends boat using them and liked their performance.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
eyeballs......those Browning rods you have likely have good quality rod blanks. You can rebuild those rods over the winter months and end up with some excellent rods.

I rebuilt a very old spinning rod about 1975. To this day, it's my favorite rod to pick up. Cork handle, the eyes are all thread wrapped by hand with who knows how many sprayed on layers of varnish.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think the gander mountain brand "guide series" is a good trolling combo rod w/line counter for 100 bucks... I have 2 of them they havent failed me yet

·
WHEELEYE
19 Posts
I have 4 Okuma - Classic Pro - CPM-90M - 9ft long that I will sell. Used for 2 seasons - like new - Great for running dipsey's or jets. PM me and make an offer.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I use diawa heartlands 8'0 and 8.5',work good and about $30.00.We use them for both dipseys and inline planers..:T

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I prefer a more limber rod than most do. When I hook a small, undesirable, non-target fish, I can take a look at the rod tip and see that he's hooked, rendering a perfectly good setup useless until I unhook him/it.

·
Eat-Fish-Hunt
1,631 Posts
I have the Shimano TDR's in MH and love them. Never had a problem detecting small fish on the line. Length is personal preference but I run the 8'6 with the dipsy's. They have a good "fast tip" and plenty of backbone.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I bought a couple Shimano TDR's this spring at the Rodmakers Shop. So far, I really like them. Good, fast tip. Easy to read. Plenty of strength for dipseys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like Ugly Sticks for dipseys. They are $30 bucks, come in a variety of lengths and are really durable. I use 7 foot medium action for smaller dipseys and medium heavy for large ones. Graphite/composite rods are not my favorite for trolling because they are too stiff and prone to breaking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts