close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dipsey Diver

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Angler Ron, Jun 21, 2005.

1. First time user of a dipsey diver. I have snap swivels in front and on the lure connecting leader. When I reeled in the diver after trolling for an 1/2 hour or so, both lines had become twisted on the front connection. Does anyone have an explanation for this? :confused: I would appreciate any help on this or is it suppose to do the line twist?
    Ron

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

youhave to let out your dipsey very slowly, and let it (swim) to where it is supposed to go. use your thumb and the clicker to release line slowly. if you let it go fast ,there's no telling where /or how it will end up. you did lock the release in place too????and trip it b4 you reel it in.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Freyedknot hit the nail on the head. Also make sure you have the dipsey set to the correct side of the boat...left will run to port and right will run to the starboard side. Pay out enough line until it starts to dive but is still visible.
    Check to see if your bait has good action and the dipsey is moving in the proper direction away from the boat. If all's okay proceed to SLOWLY payout enough line to achieve the desired depth and you should be good to go...!
    BTW: What size dipsey, type of bait and lead length are you using???? It could be a problem there too.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

NO deep diving cranks off of dipseys, just in case this was your lure of choice.

5. Thanks alot men. Yes, I did lock the release Freyedknot, I amy have released them too quickly though. I wasn't able to get it tripped before I brought it in though. Hook N Book, the dipseys I bought are size 0, I am trolling a Michigan Stinger Scorpion behind a eight foot leader, Stren Braided 40# diameter of 10# line. This is all I can tell you right now.
    Thanks alot,
    Ron

6. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

It's always a treat bringing in an untripped dipsey. :rolleyes: It sounds like your setup will work just fine. Use the method described above and you should not have a problem when paying out the line. You might also want to back off the release tension screw a half turn in order for the dipsey to release easier. The release should come out with a very moderate pull and snap back in rather easy but it should be snug. If it breaks to easily, tighten the screw a quarter turn.

7. Hook N Book,
    Thanks for the info and hope to put it to use this coming weekend. :T :D
    Thanks again,
    Ron