Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased some more dipsey's and the release is really hard on them even with the adj. screw loosened all the way out.....I'm sure someone has some advice on what to do with the dipsey to loosen the release....I appreciate any input...….Thanks

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Check to make sure the screw is not threaded into the plastic on the far side of the clip behind the nut. If it is, backing the screw off accomplishes nothing. And you end up with a Dipsy that you can't tighten up to eliminate false releases in bigger waves.

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
sandpaper!!!! a lot of guys have been complaining about the same problem. or just get you some lite bite slide divers. then just use them like a dipsy. tie to the front release. then tie a piece of line about 12" long to a small split ring and lace it through the back with your line going through the lite bite arm. then tie on your snubber then about a 6' or 7' fluro 20# leader then your bait. but use good swivels at your connections. set the lite bite arm loose so small fish will trip the diver.
sherman

·
Registered
477 Posts
I recently purchased some more dipsey's and the release is really hard on them even with the adj. screw loosened all the way out.....I'm sure someone has some advice on what to do with the dipsey to loosen the release....I appreciate any input...….Thanks
I filed and sandpapered mine down seem to work ok for me i had strips of rough to medium board like paper from work.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jim, I checked all the dipseys I got and the screw was threaded into the plastic.....A little time put into them and they all seem to be in great working shape now.... although I think I will pick up some glue for the rings.....Thanks everybody for your replies

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
+! on the shoe goo if your gonna glue.

As for gluing the rings though... This spring I was using the smaller Dipsey's without the rings. You never know... I have never had an issue with them comming loose while in the water, no glue for me.

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
I had trouble with the rings coming loose even after I used super glue. so I switched to the dreamweaver deeper divers. they was sold by walker to start with when I bought them. then I seen the lite bite slide diver and switched again. now I love the lite bite feature. they have rings but I've yet to have one come loose. but the deeper divers are much better than the dipsy. they don't have any rings. and there the same size as a dipsy with rings.
sherman

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Check to make sure the screw is not threaded into the plastic on the far side of the clip behind the nut. If it is, backing the screw off accomplishes nothing. And you end up with a Dipsy that you can't tighten up to eliminate false releases in bigger waves.
as jim says this is the problem with dipseys 99% of the time...
when they are made they drill one hole through the dipsey where the adjusting screw goes. then normally they use a self tapping screw and drive it in , but it goes into the other side also... so now you have 2 holes spaced apart that are threaded... its just like taking a bolt and putting 2 nuts on it and holding both nuts and turning the bolt...both nuts screw into the bolt the same amount cause they are both threaded....
take a drill that's a little bigger than the threads and drill out the side the head of the screw sits against.. but DO NOT drill the other side... now you have a clearance hole on the drive side so the screw can slide through as you tighten the screw into the other side, and draws the two sides together instead of both moving at the same time...
this has been an issue with dipseys for as long as I can remember... ive never had to sand mine ever and they work better than new..

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
as jim says this is the problem with dipseys 99% of the time...
when they are made they drill one hole through the dipsey where the adjusting screw goes. then normally they use a self tapping screw and drive it in , but it goes into the other side also... so now you have 2 holes spaced apart that are threaded... its just like taking a bolt and putting 2 nuts on it and holding both nuts and turning the bolt...both nuts screw into the bolt the same amount cause they are both threaded....
take a drill that's a little bigger than the threads and drill out the side the head of the screw sits against.. but DO NOT drill the other side... now you have a clearance hole on the drive side so the screw can slide through as you tighten the screw into the other side, and draws the two sides together instead of both moving at the same time...
this has been an issue with dipseys for as long as I can remember... ive never had to sand mine ever and they work better than new..
makes sense to me. thats the 1st thing I would check.
sherman

·
Catcher of big fish
603 Posts
I’ve had new ones that you remove the screw completely and still takes more than 2.5 lbs of force to release. But I agree you have to check the screw hole.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts