Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set my rods up for dipsey. I am using 30 lb braid. The dipsey chart is for 20 lb mono
Can anyone guide me as how to compensate for the chart. Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is a screen shot of a excel sheet I made years ago. This is the size 1 (large) dipsy chart I came up with. 40 lb braid.
Rods parallel to the water is how I run mine for these. I can the whole sheet but it’s got some NY setting with spin doctors etc.
I laminated this and mounted on dash
hope it helps.
BB

Attachments

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Nice charts! Looks pretty close to Dipsey’s charts.
As others have stated though, current, speed, waves can change things. Great to have a starting point though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice charts! Looks pretty close to Dipsey’s charts.
As others have stated though, current, speed, waves can change things. Great to have a starting point though.
Absolutely. Need to adjust for speed current etc.
I think the formatting got a little messed up transferring from 2003 excel to new. I’m heading to the boats this afternoon and I’ll take a pic.
Its pretty close to the dipsy charts. When I set it up I actually ran them at various depths until I ticked bottom then noted line out. Expecially needed with spin doctors since there is so much resistance
If reel spooL isn’t full it throws that counter off by a lot also. I took measurements one year to check line counters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a screen shot of a excel sheet I made years ago. This is the size 1 (large) dipsy chart I came up with. 40 lb braid.
Rods parallel to the water is how I run mine for these. I can the whole sheet but it’s got some NY setting with spin doctors etc.
hope it helps.
BB

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sure. Hope that helps.
im used to knowing what the dipsy rod bends are at a normal 2.5mphTroll. if strong current or change of speeds you can tell by the rod bend and adjust a bit.

·
2,437 Posts
Use the chart that comes with the dipsy. It works fine for 30lb braid.
Three years ago I ran a check on the chart that comes with the dipsy against my Fishhawk. The depths predicted from the dipsy chart matched almost exactly with depth readings on the fishhawk.
I don’t know why but the precision trolling app leads for the dipsy are way too long. I have the app & it works fine for everything else I run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
hope it helps.
BB
thanks, how did you come up with these numbers?

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,198 Posts
Guys, using braid to make your cranks or dipsies run deeper, really only adds 2'-3' of depth to the lure/dipsy. Why I run braid is for the no stretch characteristics of the line. Makes it easier to pick out when a lure/dipsy is fouled or has a little squirt on it, and the way it allows some lures to have a different action. With 10lb Berkley fireline you can see a deep Reef Runner thump at 150' back. I wouldn't get my panties in a wad over the "added depth", this seems to be a popular topic right now.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Use the chart that comes with the dipsy. It works fine for 30lb braid.
Three years ago I ran a check on the chart that comes with the dipsy against my Fishhawk. The depths predicted from the dipsy chart matched almost exactly with depth readings on the fishhawk.
I don’t know why but the precision trolling app leads for the dipsy are way too long. I have the app & it works fine for everything else I run.

I should prob double check on this but, I think the chart that come with the dipsy’s is for 1.5 mph, and the precision trolling app is for 2.5 mph.....

Or at least that’s what I’ve been telling my self to explain the big difference between them.

·
2,437 Posts
I should prob double check on this but, I think the chart that come with the dipsy’s is for 1.5 mph, and the precision trolling app is for 2.5 mph.....

Or at least that’s what I’ve been telling my self to explain the big difference between them.

Nope. Chart that comes with dipsy is 2.5 mph. If you try to run a dipsy at a 3 setting at 1.5 mph it will flop over and tangle the # 2 dipsy.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Nope. Chart that comes with dipsy is 2.5 mph. If you try to run a dipsy at a 3 setting at 1.5 mph it will flop over and tangle the # 2 dipsy.

Wow,!!! you are absolutely right.I stand corrected.
THANK YOU

Makes me wonder how much better I could have done with the correct depth chart -ie- my baits running above the fish....

I will no longer be using the precision trolling app for dipsy’s.
I also am not sold on their calculations of bandits + 2oz. I think it might still be more accurate to add +/- 4’ of depth per oz to he bandit dive curve.

Side note-
Meerkat, I miss hearing you on the radio out of Lorain..... but I understand, you don’t want to be labeled “Mother Goose”......

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well now, that might explain some of my ‘mystery’ tangles. I generally run 2 dipseys set at 1-1/2 and 3. Commonly run 1.7-2.5 sog. Occasionally have tangle with no apparent reason. I didn’t know about the speed issue. Guess I need to kick it up a bit, especially on turns.

·
716 Posts
Well now, that might explain some of my ‘mystery’ tangles. I generally run 2 dipseys set at 1-1/2 and 3. Commonly run 1.7-2.5 sog. Occasionally have tangle with no apparent reason. I didn’t know about the speed issue. Guess I need to kick it up a bit, especially on turns.
The slower you run the slower you have to let them out also

1 - 20 of 37 Posts