close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dip baits and other commercial baits

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by ashtonmj, Jul 4, 2005.

1. What are some of everyones experiences with commercial baits, like dip baits, and preformed bites and balls. I just picked up some Strike King Dip Bait, in Blood flavor, and Berkley Powerbait in Liver, and did pretty well on some nice sized channels in a pond. 6 fish weighed 10 lbs total and I probably lost a good 20 fish from trying to teach my girlfriend to fish while using my 2 rods.

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

My experience is they will catch mostly smaller fish.

3. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

There are few other things as good as a dip bait for catcing numbers of small channel cats. Some of the better ones are bowkers, junnies and my favorite-Sonny's. Preformed and dough baits have never really worked for me, but dip baits have saved the day many a time. Every now and then you'll catcha big channel on it, but for the most part these baits are for catching good numbers of 'eating' size channels. Las night, at tappan, its the only thing that worked for us; and yes, the cats were pretty small.

JB

4. I've heard alot of raving about how great Sonny's is and definately want to give it a try. I thought the Strike King was really easy to get on a tube/worm, stayed consistent when it was really hot and muggy out, and didnt stink TOO bad.

That was really all I was after were the smaller fish for a big fry so it works out great.

5. I have both the Strike King blood flavor and the Berkley powerbait in my tackle box right now. The powerbait hasn't caught anything but the dip has produced some eating sized fishes. I keep some sort of dip or doughbait around yeah it only gets the little guys but I am shorebound and don't have the luxury of chasing the fish. I say any sized fish is better than none. The doughbait I prefer is Magic Bait chicken blood flavor. It produces pretty well in the lakes around here.

6. Sonny's if you can find it.

7. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

i was able to find 2 tubs of it at a Dick's sporting goods here in NE ohio, other than that, Catfish Connection is the only other place i know of to get Sonny's.

JB

8. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I have had some luck with Magic Bait "Crawfish and Chicken Blood" They stink like hell but they do catch catfish. I've caught little one pounders up to eight pounds on them. Havent had a chance to fish any where that I have a chance of hooking a big one to see if it can catch the big ones.

9. Sonny's is made in Iowa i would try Walmarts and other stores in that state..

Insane----out