close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dinged up prop?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Fishpro, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

I got into some mud today and did a little damage to my prop. Nothing serious, but I'm wondering what performance issues a couple of dings will cause?:confused:

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

paul,you can file small dings smooth as long as you know you are not throwing the prop off of balance. file all 3 blade some to be sure. i have been in the MUD b4 L.O.L.

3. Fishpro

Yeah, didn't you get put in the mud by a crappy duck guide once?;) :D Hey, that channel has been dredged and had markers put in it now.:p Thanks for the tip about filing, I'll get on that tomorrow.

4. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

What size engine do you have? If it's a 9.9 I doubt you'll notice any loss unless you bent a blade substantially. If it's a 225 you definitely notice a top speed drop. Even small dings disrupt the water flow over the blades and cause performance loss. However, with small engines the loss may not be noticeable. If your 9.9 runs your boat at 10mph and you lose 10%, you may not notice a 1 mph loss. But, if you're used to running 65 and lose 6 or 7 mph, you'll definitely notice that.

Did you HIT something or just grind it a bit with the prop? It takes a decent shot to bend a blade.

UFM82

5. Fishpro

I've got a 130 horse OMC Cobra I/O. It didn't feel like I hit anything while I was running, but I was in the mud a couple of times, maybe there was some small rocks or wood in the mud. I don't know. I didn't notice any vibration while I was running that day, so I'm hoping its just cosmetic.:eek:

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

hey paul , did you go thru there with the trim up or all the way down? up would have been better maybe.

7. Fishpro

I had it about 3/4 down when I looked back and seen the mud, my fish finder was reading about 2.5'. I raised it and steered twards the channel and was back in 9' within a matter of less than 10 yards. I didn't get off the channel by much, but it was enough.