close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dillon

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Miso_Ohio, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

We are scheduling a Carp-In ( www.cagohio.net ) down at Dillon next month and I was trying to get ideas where the big fish may be there.

I was down at the beach, and while the scenery was nice down there and I saw a lot (100's) of carp lips surfacing out there in that inlet, I didn't get the impression that there was any size to them (under 10 Lbs).

I am unfamiliar with this lake, I was wondering if anybody who fishes this lake regularly for catfish or carp may have a better idea where they may be in the middle of summer (spring is normally the shallows). I have been eyeing the area down by the marina because of the shore access to the deep water and the channel.

I will probably head out there Friday night and fish till mid morning or noon Saturday to see if I can pull anything large out of there. Anybody who may want to join me feel free to let me know. If you have any ideas about a good place to fish or want to join me for an all nighter, let me know either by PM ( if your too embarressed to admit you have carp fished ) or post it here. I may throw a line out for catfish as well, thanks in advance.

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Sean,

I can't make this weekend, but perhaps next?

3. hey miso, try the boat launching area off of 146 up north of 586 i think,havent fished this summer yet but in the past,there was a lot of carp and cat ,shallow in some places and reedy? hope this helps?

4. Miso_Ohio

Thanks for the feedback, I can't find 586 on my map but I am pretty sure which one you are talking about.I think there is only one ramp that is directly off of 146 so that must be the one. I am going to scout a little tonight and that was one of the areas I planned to scout, thanks for the input.

Shawn, bummer you can't make it, I will give you ideas of where I tried and what I got. Next weekend I am heading to Erie and the weekend after I am on call again. If I get into something good down there (I doubt it though) I will let you know where I was.

5. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Miso....let me know if you come up to Erie...maybe ill be able to join you.

Mitch

6. Miso_Ohio

Thanks for all of the input guys, I tried by the ramp off of 146 and I caught lots of carp and some channels as well. Only problem was the carp where in the .5-2 lb range, are there bigger carp in this lake? I am sure there are, I am just trying to pinpoint them.

Mitch, yeah I will be up at east harbor this weekend, not sure what my plans are as yet. I will probably be out perching or something Saturday and Sunday morning. I will let you know if I try to do any carping up there. I know last time I was at east harbor I saw some monster carp rolling in the weed beds there. I will shoot you a PM later tonight.

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Miso,

I'll let you know of that other area I'm going to try this weekend. I've had 2 return emails with positive ID on good sized fish there from reliable carp sources. Also going to stop in at the one baitshop down by the dam road. I recall seeing carp pics in there the last time I was there. Not sure if they were bow or hook-line, but they were very large.

8. Can't confirm this but was told it was shut down again???????? I'll check later on as I need a few vibees for my Canada trick and they carried them (hope here not I need some vibees lol)

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Thanks for the info Downtown. Let me know if you stop in there. I'll be going right by it, so I'll know either way. Thanks again!

10. catking

catking Banned

I know of two lakes that the big carp STAY in shallow waters. I wouldn't over look the water that is 5' or less. I believe some of us, including myself, have bought into the " big carp are in the deep cool waters" in the summer heat. Not true. And this could be the reason we are missing some big ones. I've seen in the past 3 days in two diffrent lakes that the BIG carp were in 6' or less water. And there was DEEP water not 300 feet away. This was at 2 pm also. I believe they go where the food is. Which is shallow. I'm not saying all carp do this, but certainly alot do. Takes alot of food to keep a 30 pounder, a thirty pounder. They have to feed ALOT. And most feed is in the shallows. CATKING

11. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

King,

I know what you are saying, as one of the lakes I fish has shallow water and is chalk full of good sized carp. Only problem is, 3 trips to Dillon between 3 people now, and the shallow water holds nothing but small fish. Nobody has fished night-time there, but who knows. The spot I'm looking at is fairly shallow, but has quick access to deep waters. I think that might be the ticket.

12. catking

catking Banned

I believe that is right also Shawn. Shallow waters with deep near by. I didn't realize Dillon was so close to Buckeye. Might have to check it out :) CATKING

13. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Dillon is nowhere near "Extremely Far" for central or NE Ohio by any means. Salt Fork Last year was a drive.....but Dillon is relatively close. Only 2 hr drive for me, and Buckeye is 1h 30 min.

14. There goes the neighborhood :eek: ;),
    lots of good fishing in this area
    AEP Ponds-North ,South,West
    Muskingum and Licking Rivers
    Senaca
    Salt Fork
    Wills Creek