close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Digital camera...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by doegirl, May 11, 2005.

1. I need to get out of the dark ages and purchase a digital camera. I know very little about what to look for and how much to spend. I would like to carry this along with me on hunting and fishing trips, as well as taking some occasional family pics. I would like to be able to download my pictures from camera to computer. Any suggestions on makes, models, and features would be greatly appreciated!

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I have a fuji finepix 3800 that I really like. The only thin it lacks in is taking action photos well. You want to spend at least $150.oo to get a good camera. Every major maker, (fuji, nikon, sony, etc) has its advantages and disadvantages. Look for one that takes AA or AAA batteries and not special batteries. Also, look for one that takes at least 3.1 megapixels, as this will allow you to take 8x10 quality photos if you want to. I don't see the need for a memory card over 128mb. I can take between 200-500 photos on my 128, depending on the megapixels setting, etc. Look for a cam that has buttons you can operate easily and is comfortable to use. That was the major reason we bought a fuji finepix. Good luck and do your homework before buying.

3. culprit

culprit Culprit

Here are a couple of links to some websites with lots of info.I finally went digital this winter & both my 35mm cameras have been collecting dust since then.My best advice would be to figure how much you want to spend first.Then read the reviews & forums on these sites.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm
    http://www.dpreview.com/

4. Crankus Maximus gave you some really good advice. I have a Canon Powershot A80 4 megapixel I bought about 2 or 3 years ago I am pretty happy with. It takes action shots pretty well as I take it to Mid-Ohio each year for Honda Supercycle Weekend and get some really nice shots with it. I usually give it to my girlfriend to use while I shoot video and she gets some great shots without much effort. I will try to post a shot from Mid-Ohio from it if I figure out how small I need to make the picture to post. :) Fuji makes some really good cameras as well at really great prices too, along with Nikon, Sony, etc. :) I'm sure you'll pick a great camera with everything you are looking for and more at a really good price.

5. If you can wait... don't purchase till after the Christmas holidays and save BIG $$$
    I have a canon powershot A75 and I have yet to see or use a better camera...
    Anything over 4megs is overkill anyway due to printers not being able to keep up...
    I paid $150.00 for mine and it still goes for around $200.00 give or take...

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

what makes most cameras expensive is the optical zoom lens. the cameras with only digital zoom run a lot cheaper.i have a polaroid 3.2 megapixel with only 3 power digital zoom for $79.00.it takes good pics for posting on the net and downloads easily.a small sd card was only $12.00. both were baught from walgreens.

Attached Files:

7. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Not only has Crankus Maximus given you some very good advice, but Clyde brought out a very good point about waiting for the after Christmas sales. I picked up a Fuji S3000 this past January for $200.00 at Circuit City. It has a 10X Optical zoom, 3.1 megapixel, and a 55mm lense adapter ring that I can screw on special effects filters. It was recently replaced by the S3001, but is otherwise the same camera. I'm very partial to the FUji Finepix line because they are very good cameras that are easy to use, and are relatively inexpensive.

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I suggest not getting anything to pricey since you're going to be taking it into areas where its prone to getting beat up. I have a Olympus Stylus 400 blah blah blah and its way to expensive to be taking out. Almost broke it Saturday night..... phew managed to get it straightened out. One thing about it that is nice, is its an all weather camera, and getting rained on won't hurt it.

9. I have the Kodak easyshare w/printer dock. It might cost a little more but it is SWEET. Easy to use camera + just put it on the printer dock and pick the one you want to print and push the button. The camera dock prints a 4x6 right there. You can also download them on to your puter and create albums.

10. I have an Olympus C4000 Zoom. It runs maybe 350.00 and is a 4 megapixel.

11. Onemore thing to look at...
    I wanted to be able to film small video clips with mine and even though mine says it will only do 30 sec clips I have filmed over 2 minutes and make sure you get one with sound if you'd like that feature;)

12. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

I just bought a Kodak Easy share CX7530, 5 megapixels, 3x zoom, takes pix and streaming video, and a buch of other stuff I haven't figured out yet! I paid $200 for it. Heres a pic from it of my bow.

Attached Files:

13. FISHERLADY

FISHERLADY Fish OH Master Angler

I recommend at least 4 megapixels and up. I have a Nikon coolpix4100, it is doing really good and you can do all that stuff you talked about. Also it is lightweight and does very well with rechargable batteries. It also fits good in pockets, etc. This was taken of me wednesday on it.

Attached Files:

14. Fishpro-Nice bow. A Bowtech Allegiance?

15. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Nope. '03 Bowtech Patriot with '05 Patriot VFT limbs. it's FAST!! Hey, good call though, you know your bows.:)

16. Crankus Maximus is right. The Fuji finepix 3800 is a good camera. Have had one for a few years and the only thing besides action shots is when you try to take a picture at night you can't see what you are looking at thru the viewfinder but when you use the flash the picture is usually good.

17. I've got a Kodak that I got 4 years ago that I use. I think I paid like $100 for it. It has a 2x zoom so you can't get real close but I mostly use it for fishing so I don't need to zoom in too close.

18. Ok here goes...I think I figured it out. :D

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The first one is one my chick took of the Supersport race as she loves Miguel DuHamel(sp) and the second one I think I took that Friday of Miguel in practice. I hope this comes out right as she is driving me nuts at the moment about why I manage to turn my radar detector off in my car but can't seem to do it in her car, bla, blah, bla, blah, ba, blah, ba, blah... :D :D :D

19. Cool pics...
    You need to place a space between the pics so they are not side by side...