Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
151 Posts
Since this is still April, the water temperature is still most likely holding them down, but there are several reasons why they might not have surfaced yet. I have been a member of a group that uses dogs to find missing people, including drowning victims, for 14 years. Bodies do not float when the water temperature is too cold to produce the decomposition necessary for the gas to form to make them float. I have seen occasions when people have drowned in July or August, but did not surface for several weeks (until recovered by a diver) because they happened to land in the path of a spring on the bottom.

It is also possible that they did float, but something disrupted the integrity of the body cavity and released the gas that made them float. When that happens, the body goes back to the bottom and does not return to the surface. It stays down. Something could also have caused the gas to escape before they floated, so they will never surface. If either of these events occurred, the only way to find them is with sonar and/or dogs to guide divers into finding them.

I suspect that the cold water is still holding them down. They will probably surface after a few days of warmer weather than what we have had so far.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.