Did I get lucky or what??!!

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by ohiotuber, May 1, 2008.

1. The weekend of 4/19 & 4/20, I went to Waynesboro, Virginia for the Virginia Fly Fishing Festival, fly fishing with friends, & also helping Jerry (Fly Reel Dots, ZipCast & other great products) with his booth at the show. Here's what took place...
    1) Went fishing in Mossy Creek, a spring creek that is known for VERY tough fishing. I heard that 1 brown trout is a good day & that fishing had been poor. We went just so I could fish a legendary VA stream....well, I ended up catching FOUR browns, including one on my beloved yellow woolly worm. If that weren't good enough......
    2) I won a drawing at the show for a $400.00 original watercolor from noted wildlife artist Bruce Bunch. The picture is from his "Trophy Series". I need to submit a picture & measurements of my favorite catch (up to 20") this year, & Bruce will paint the fish actual size. In addition, if I also send the fly I made the catch with, he will include my fly in a shadowbox below the painting. I plan on a large gill or redear (10" to 12"). What a trophy THAT will be!!
    I will keep all updated.
    Mike

2. Great job Mike! sounds like you had a blast.
    Janus

3. Brian,
    The last 2 years, I understand I was singled out at the "Vendor's Dinner" for coming "all the way from Ohio" for the show. I would love to get a bunch of Ohioans to go...the show's on the banks of the South River, & you have great fishing nearby for wild mountain stream brookies & native browns. Couple that with some beautiful scenery & great people & you have a combination that is tough to beat.
    Mike.

4. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Wow! That got to be nice! When you do please post the pictures of it!

5. FFD,
    I sure will post pics. Only thing is that I already have a few 9 1/2 inchers, but I'm holding out for at least an 11" gill. Bet I get it in June...I'll get measurements & pictures for the painting, then watch it swim off.
    Mike

6. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

I know of a pond in southern ohio in hocking county where you should be able to get at least 12 or bigger. 4 years ago got a 13 1/2 incher out of there but lost a few more that may break that.

7. Now WHY did you have to go & post that? Now I'm slobbering all over myself!
    There really is NO trophy (at least IMHO) that surpasses a 12" or larger gill or sunfish. You are fortunate to fish such a plce.
    Mike

8. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

It's on public land for that matter. You have to walk a ways since it not accessable by truck.

9. Congratulations Mike, you're on a roll.

I'd agree on the bluegill... a nice big pre-spawn one that looks almost like a tropical fish.