close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did anyone else see the article in the dispatch about the new resivors in 07

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish4Fun, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Didn't get all the info on it but i guess they will start construction by 2007 on new resivor it will be up in delaware county by the marion county line i think it said.

2. I hope your not going to get reemed out like I did when I posted what I heard about a possible future Ohio lake. I think we need some new water in the state.

3. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

I did not see it but that area, Prospect in particular could use the help. They seem to get flodded out a couple of times each year when the upper Scioto gets inundated with rain.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I dont get it, why would anyone reem you out about it?

5. Hey Jerry which paper was that in... I'll see if I can find the article online...

6. ..forget it the Columbus Dispatch charges a fee to read their archives online :rolleyes:

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I read that article online. I don't mind having more lakes. Especially run by the City of Columbus. That means good rules on those lakes! HP restrictions and speed limits and no jet-skis. I like the sound of this. The only thing is that it'll take a few years to become a good fishery, at best.

8. It would be nice if someone who has access would copy/paste the article here so everyone could read it...

9. crankus_maximus

10. crankus_maximus

COLUMBUS TO START RESERVOIR WORK IN '07
    Some Delaware County neighbors wary of project
    Published: Tuesday, February 1, 2005
    NEWS 03B
    By Mark Ferenchik
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    More than a decade has passed since Columbus bought land in northern Delaware County for three reservoirs to slake a growing city's thirst.

Work on the first of those reservoirs finally is set to begin in 2007. When all three are completed, they are expected to cost $119 million, up from the 1998 estimate of $100 million.

The city has hired ms consultants of Columbus for $8 million to do preliminary design work on the reservoirs, which will be built just west of the Scioto River near the Marion County line.

Work on the other two is scheduled to start in 2015 and 2020.

Water rates are to increase 33 percent by 2010 to pay for the work.

The city paid $8.6 million for 2,551 acres in Thompson Township. Some residents and officials were angry when Columbus began buying property in 1993. And some remain concerned.

"There's a lot of uncertainty, not a lot of information,'' said Allen Prindle, who lives 2 miles from the sites.

Prindle, a member of the Scioto River Valley Federation environmental group, wondered whether they would be eyesores. He also questioned how they would affect drainage.

Others seem resigned to the projects now.

Juanita Miller, former president of the Thompson Township Alliance, said she was concerned that the city didn't let township residents know what was going on when it started contacting neighbors about buying their land.

"We were completely taken off guard by it,'' said Miller, who lives south of the reservoir sites.

Residents were concerned about property values and the environment.

"I don't fault people for selling their land,'' Miller said. "You can't stop change.''

"People have accepted it,'' said township Trustee William A. Thompson Jr.

The city will not dam the Scioto for the reservoirs. Instead, it will divert water from the river to the "up-ground'' reservoirs by building earthen levees on farmland. Each reservoir will hold 3.5 billion gallons and supply up to 15 million gallons a day to Columbus and most of its suburbs, said Lynn Kelly, the city's deputy water administrator. Water will be released into the river during dry periods.

The reservoirs will not dramatically affect the flow of the Scioto River, said Cheryl Roberto, utilities director for Columbus. Water will be taken from the river only when it's at high levels, she said.

Pat Marida, of the Central Ohio Sierra Club, said she doesn't know whether Columbus needs the water, but she's concerned that the city plans to take billions of gallons out of the Scioto.

"Water conservation is absolutely the most important thing the city and its residents can be discussing,'' she said.

The private Del-Co Water Co., which serves 31,000 households in Delaware, Franklin, Marion, Morrow and Union counties, also would draw from the reservoirs, Kelly said.

Columbus officials said the reservoirs are needed to supply a growing population, which includes suburbs that contract with Columbus for water.

Customers now use 141.6 million gallons per day, up from 132.9 million in 1987. That's expected to rise to 153 million by 2010 and 174 million by 2020.

Without the reservoirs, Kelly said, an extended, severe drought could force tight water-use restrictions.

Roberto plans to brief Delaware County and township officials and other interested parties on the city's plans soon, said utilities spokesman Greg Davies. State regulatorsalso have to sign off on the project, said Ken Ricker, project manager for ms consultants.

mferenchik@dispatch.com

11. THANKS for taking the time...

12. This could be good news for the fishermen in the area as was mentioned. However they really made no reference to size of the reservoirs. Also, being that they are upland reservoirs I wonder whether they will be used for flood control at all? It did not make mention of that.

It looks like people in the area will be paying for this for quite some time.;)

13. crankus_maximus

No problemo. Glad to help.

14. I have searched the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers website and the Columbus area falls under the Huntington District where a list of new projects for lakes and reservoirs is listed.
    Flood control projects that result in a body of water whose level is controlled to prevent flooding are under the jurisdiction of the Huntington District District. Projects consist of a wide variesty of Engineering products, however the District is mostly known for it's work flood control and navigational projects. Recreational facilities are typically placed at both navigation sites and flood control reservoirs.
    All projects must first have a completed study done before any action can be undertaken by federal law...
    The Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act of 1981 (Public Law 96-367) came into affect as a direct result of the 1977 flood act and provided authorization for development of flood protection measures. Through Section 202 of this legislation, the Secretary of the Army was directed, through the Chief of Engineers, to design and construct flood damage reduction measures in areas that may be impacted by floods.
    There are "only" 143 studies being conducted at this time and none concern the creation of a new lake in the state of ohio at this time...
    Work will begin on the following Ohio area lakes/res in the near future:
    Alum Creek Lake
    Atwood Lake
    Beach City Lake
    Bolivar Dam
    Charles Mill Lake
    Clendening Lake
    Deer Creek Lake
    Delaware Lake
    Dillon Lake
    Dover Dam
    Leesville Lake
    Mohawk Dam
    Mohicanville Lake
    North Branch of Kokosing River Lake
    Paint Creek Lake
    Piedmont Lake
    Pleasant Hill Lake
    Senecaville Lake
    Tappan Lake
    Tom Jenkins Dam
    Wills Creek Lake
    The above projects fall under the $100,000 or above limit that must be disclosed to the public...

There will never be anything done without proper public notice and you can be well assured that anything of that magnitude will be covered by Tv, newspapers, radio and the like...
    To date the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has not approved any projects submitted by the city of Columbus or the state of Ohio concerning the above posted article but that does not mean there is nothing in the works it simply means there are a few more hurdles to jump over...

Once a study is completed and all the nay sayers have had their day in court if they take it that far I hope we hear this project going forward it sounds like it is needed and one whoes time has come... :D

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the way i understand the article,there are 3 reservoirs(upground i assume) planned over several years.all are for water supply,and NOT for flood control,and therefore,not under corps of engineer jurisdiction.it's my understanding that they are being built by the city of columbus and will be supplied with water routed from the scioto.

16. I emailed them asking if they still had to approve any projects of this nature...
    I actually emailed 11 depts because I could not find who I should email...
    It seems from reading over their website they would not have authority over the upland res but would on any water being deverted from the river since they are the ones who control river water depts...

Do you guys think these would be electric only waterways?

17. I would not see any reason that they would have to be electric only waterways as there are several upland reservoirs across the state that are not. However, as I said they make no mention on the size of the reservoirs. If they are not very large that may play into the decision of electric only.

18. crankus_maximus

I see them being like Hoover. Then (don't kill me - because I support HP restrictions), they will open Hoover for larger/faster watercraft - like Alum Creek. This would then eliminate the need to HP restrict Hoover. Just a thought.

You know somebody in the government has thought of this if dumb ole me came up with it.

19. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

This was in the article but really dosent give a size of the actual resivor.
    Thanks for posting the artical Crank.

20. crankus_maximus

Any time guys and gals. When you're in Beantown, you try and contribute any way you can. I can't give fishing reports (really not a good subject), but I can research info and post opinions. You know what they say about opionions...