close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dicks "New Location"!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by BornToFish, Sep 8, 2005.

1. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

Dicks will be opening a new store on polaris pkwy in Columbus early October. There has been a fine staff of people assembled, including myself! Come see me at the "Lodge" in October.,Jonathan

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

We'll be buy for sure. I really hope that store get some better fishing items and a staff that knows what they sell. The other stores in Columbus have a very poor excuse for a fishing/hunting store salesman. I haven't been to them in over a month because of that. They need to get item WE use here not in Flordia or some exiotic places. Sorry to rant but being very honest and hoping it will help make your new place a place worth going to.

3. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I can really relate to you on this one Dale . :( Im sure JBJ feels our pain . Sure wish things were like they used to be at that location , say about 2 years ago .

4. BornToFish

I understand guys. I was dissapointed when Galyan's started consolidating down to nothing. I can remember in 95'-96' when they had a pretty awesome selection, and what you couldn't find there "Columbus Sports" usually had. There is going to be a limit of space for products, but the lodge staff will do everything possible to appease the local anglers. I'm a hardcore bass fisherman, and I know they have hired an avid tournament fisherman to be the "Lead" at the new location. The store manager made a comment that "We were the most qualified, and best people he has ever had apply at a location". We will do everything in our power, not to only satisfy the avid"multi-species"angler, but the casual guy as well.

5. BTF.
    Are you saying that you will be stocking items that are not in other stores? Example would be stingers, reef runners, jets, dipsys and basically everything else needed for fishing Erie...
    Also, is there a chance you will be stocking a better selection of rods and reels? How about a better selection of lindy rigs or even grubs.
    I miss Gaylan's and Gander Mountain has changed it's course as well. It is very hard to find items like these anymore.
    thanks and hoping your answer is yes.
    ying

6. BornToFish

They try to be regional sensitive when stocking fishing related products. I'm going to guess that there may be a little of that, but we could special order anything if the vendors carry it. Stores that are closer to Lake Erie will more in likely have a better selection of that type of gear. Keep in mind "Dick's" is a sporting goods store, not a outdoor only store such as "Cabelas or BassPro". There is limited space in each store for products. I'm going to push to carry the most demanded tackle,and colors if available. Rods & Reels are a different ballgame. You will probably see more combo's than individual items. I don't make the rules, they are the fastest growing sporting goods company in the nation. They must be doing something right. Keep in mind the countless numbers of casual fisherman who buy products as well. Like you, I love a facility crampacked with everything possible for all types of fishing/hunting, but much of the time that doesn't benefit the entire vision of this company. You also have http://Dickssportinggoods.com they have an extensive selection of many items that local stores don't have. Don't be discouraged, the other associates, and I will do everything we can to meet your needs.,Jonathan

7. Hey Jonathan you are sounding like a salesman already.:D

I do not get over to that area often but if I do I will try to stop in and take a look-see. If I make it in I will try to stop in and say hello.

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Good deal thats not to far from work. I will have to continue with what dale and hydrosport said. If your reading JBJ havent seen you in a while and i used to stop in at galyans all the time. But once dicks took over it just wasn't worth the drive was about like going to walmart.

9. BornToFish

We won't have anymore shelf space than the other c-bus stores, but we can try to have the best, and most popular tackle for the region. It makes a big difference when the staff is just as crazy about fishing as the customer. There will be special promotions, offers, and we will work with local clubs to promote their tourney's.,Jonathan

10. WarEagle

WarEagle FNG

Jonathan,

I will take it easy on you... one #12 Fan to another, but I will believe it when I see it. I have to agree with Fish.

WAR

11. BornToFish

We are stocking the merchandise the next couple of weeks. I'm seeing some good, "popular" products, and some cheap "casual" fisherman type stuff as well. Keep in mind we are not a fishing/hunting exclusive store. We will have some products that the other two stores do not carry. Stop in and buy the basics(Line,hooks,sinkers)if nothing else. You will enjoy the visit much better than let's say "Wally World".lol

12. Jonathan, I don't want to bust your bubble but I worked for Dick's here in Akron for 10 years. I tried to get stuff everyone wanted and what we used up here. It just got worse the bigger Dick's got. At one time I could order some local products, but they even stopped that. The main guy in Pittsburg won't talk to any one lower than a district manager. And the people in the warehouse don't fish. If they think they have enough for all stores then you get it. Doesn't matter if it's for saltwater. I got tired of the BS and walked away in Mar this year. Talked to my buddy there yesterday and he said that the regular customers that I had don't even come in there anymore.

13. BornToFish

Thanks for your opinion Bob. May God's will be done!

14. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

Did I miss something? Does God own Dick's? If he does, I'm gonna pray they get more products and better customer service...b/c they suck!

Winner

15. Not a big fan of the Dick's that I've been to in the past, but that store will be convenient, so I will give it a shot.

The Gander Mountain in Mentor (NE Ohio) does a real nice job of stocking local (walleye and steelhead there) items. Wish more stores would do that instead of making sure all the stores carry the same inventory items.

Joel

16. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Hey guys, complaining to the guy working to store is not gonna help. You gotta go up the chain - way up the chain to drive your point home. Even then it may not help as Dicks has developed a strategy to cover a portion of the market. They are not going to try and compete with the likes of BPS or Cabelas. It's just not going to happen. The man is excited about his new job and he promises to do all HE can to help you find what you are looking for. They may have it and they may not. I have found Dick's to be no worse than Galyan's used to be, but definitely no better either. I still stop in because they do have some really good deals every now and then. I just don't expect to stock up on items because they are most likely not going to have that. I go to Cabelas and BPS to get what I need if I need it in a timely fashion.

It is what it is - and that's that.

17. BornToFish

Yes winner, God owns everything. He's just nice enough to let us borrow it for awhile, and what a mess we are making of it.

18. JBJ

JBJ

I'm looking forward to meeting you, BornToFish. I am the current Fishing Lead at Sawmill Road and have been working hard to get in what my customers need. I keep trying to explain that the anglers in this area need to fill out those perception cards to get things changed. I have been told by our Regional and District managers that I have their ears but I must have all the support of our customers documented to effect the kind of change that is requested.

I will be by to meet you very soon, Jonathan.

Blaise

19. JBJ

JBJ

Now that I have had some time to settle down I want to address some of the comments made in this thread.

It is such a good feeling to know how much our efforts are appreciated. I would like to meet any Dick's employee that is more in-depth into the fishing industry than I am. Those who know me understand where I come from on this. When folks make general comments such as those made on this thread about the staff, blaming us for decisions made at a much higher level outside the stores, it sure makes it worthwhile to continue our fight to represent your concerns to the higher ups.

You would be hard pressed to find another individual that is fighting your fight in ANY retail establishment. You don't know this but because of the efforts of the Lodge staff in the Central Ohio stores, you have about 50% more product to pick from than you would have at this time of the year. I was told to condense fishing down with the knowledge that there would be very little resupply of fishing products for some time. Many of us pitched a fit and you now have the products on hand that you see.

We are in the same boat as you. We have to go outside of DSG to get our fishing supplies as well. Maybe now you have a little better understanding of how convicted we are to getting the correct products in our stores. The ONLY thing that sways a retail environment is the cries of the customer base. When they know that a good portion of the customers want a particular product, they will get it on the pegs.

Help us help you. Go to your Dick's Sporting Goods store and see Jonathan, myself or the other Leads and Lodge Managers. We need you to fill out a customer comment card so we can have the necessary clout to get the products in the door.

Thanks for the read of my ranting. If I have offended anyone, my apologies, but you started it. :)

Blaise

20. BornToFish

Amen! JBJ.lol. I'll look forward to meeting you sometime in the future.