close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Diawa Acudepth Reels

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ErieAngler, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ErieAngler

ErieAngler Still Deadly w/ The Net

Are these trolling reals any good? They have no bearings and a line counter and sell for ~ $45. Thanks for the help.

2. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I started off my planer board setups and replaced 4 of them so far with the SG series, I have yet to have one fail on me, I have caught many 9 plus pound eyes up to over 11 pounds and many many nice steelies, they will get the job done, not as smooth as the Sg's but for the money a good reel, they have the new accudepth plus reels out (grey ones) they feel and sound just like the SG series, there was some talk of them on Great lakes angler and some salmon guys said great reel and they perform just like the Sg's I might pick up a couple for running braid and give them a shot. I have heard there where some bad ones out there, I would buy them from Gander or somewhere if they break you can take them back and get a new one, I am sure they have worked the kinks out. you can also get them rebuilt at some shops if they crap out on you. I'm still using a couple of the regular accudepths and have been rolling strong for 4 years and you know how much I fish.

3. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I would think for walleye they should work fine for you.

There is always talk on other sites about the failures of less expensive LC reels. Most seem to conclude they are better off just buying better reels the first time instead of needed to replace them later. I think much of it is just personal opinion. I have never owned an accudepth but know many people that have and the reviews are mixed, some good, some not as good.

One area where the reviews are not very mixed is for salmon. The accudepths lead a very short life for that application. I think Pappascott confirmed this the hard way last year on Lake Ontario. I don't remember for sure, but I do know of many failures with these reels for salmon.

4. ErieAngler

ErieAngler Still Deadly w/ The Net

Thanks for the info guys, I don't do a lot of trolling so I didn't want to drop a lot of money on two more reals. I have 4 SG's and 2 okumas on my dipsy, board and flat line rods but I needed two reels for my downrigger rods. I found (2) Acudepths at Gander in MN for $30 so I picked them up. I figured they should be decent for use < 10 times a year on riggers, steelhead mostly.

5. Buy the best reels you can afford. For your applications and needs, the AD's should work just fine.