Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Clearfork Muskie Addict
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fishing a tourney in a few weeks out of Elizabeth Park on the Detroit River. It will be my first time and am thinking about making the trip up to St Clair. Does anyone have experience with these 2 bodies of water? Where can I go to get into the smallies? I have heard stories of extraordinary numbers in St Clair. If anyone can give me a heads up, I would appreciate it.

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
I am fishing a tourney in a few weeks out of Elizabeth Park on the Detroit River. It will be my first time and am thinking about making the trip up to St Clair. Does anyone have experience with these 2 bodies of water? Where can I go to get into the smallies? I have heard stories of extraordinary numbers in St Clair. If anyone can give me a heads up, I would appreciate it.
go to erie.. they run smaller in st clair ..go to grub reef ;) ..thats were most of the big ones come from ....drop shot and 4 in salty brush sassy jr watermelon purple swirl from netcraft ....

·
Registered
130 Posts
I assume you will be a co-angler but not sure...

Actually in last year's July 10 FLW tour event, at least the top 4 finishers fished all 4 days on LSC, not Erie. Normally Erie produces bigger bags, but not last year. Most guys will likely run to Erie though unless the forecast is for rough water.

Let me know if you are a co or a pro and I'll fill you in with some info...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well first of all, from Elizabeth Park to the mouth of LSC is about a 30 mile one-way boat ride, so you have more than an hour of round trip run time to consider if you wish to run to LSC, whereas you can be to Erie in 5 minutes if you go South. Also there are some no-wake areas in the upper river that you will need to know about so you don't get pulled over and given a ticket. If you plan to fish LSC you should do some research on the internet for the no wake zone rules in the Upper Detroit River. Both lakes can be a bitch if the wind is blowing and it depends on the direction. A hard South, SE or SW wind will dictate you need to go to LSC. A hard North wind will make your run to LSC impossible, and you can run the North Shore of Erie to Grubb Reef, The Greenhouse, Peele Point, Colchester, etc, very nicely.
I would say that overall, not considering weather, that LSC is your best chance to get a limit, and if it is windy you could easily win with LSC fish. I am not that familiar with Erie. I fish LSC about 3 days per week. Last year's FLW tour event was won in LSC the mile roads in about 15-16 fow. The second place guy was in the middle of LSC in about 18-19 fow. The third and fourth place guys were up in northern LSC by the St Clair River I believe.

Good luck in your tournament and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agree with Little Guy on the LSC locations to try. No wake zones on DR are Bridge south of Elizabeth Park and the Canadian side of Peeche Island. Sometimes when the rowing club is out it's a no wake zone around the golf course north of the Wyandotte area. Actually the worst ride on the Detroit River is with a strong south wind. The wind pushing against the current can create very dangerous conditions and large waves.

·
Clearfork Muskie Addict
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after consulting with my partner, I believe that we are headed to Erie. I have never fished these areas of Erie, so hopefully I can figure something out. Thanks to everyone on their LSC help. Any ideas for Canadian or Michigan Erie waters?

·
Clearfork Muskie Addict
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I think I have a plan for saturday. I am going to start off around the cross **** and then fish the Livingston channel from north to south, then probably head to Erie if the weater permits. I hope this is a recipe for smallmouth. Any final thoughts? Thanks. Can't wait for my first time on the river.

·
Clearfork Muskie Addict
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the fishing wasn't the greatest, but did manage some nice fish. The weather made it interesting. We caught a lot of 13.5 inchers. 1 largemouth that was just shy of 7 and 1 smallmouth that was just shy of 5. Overall it was a pretty decent day. That is truly an amazing fishery. BTW: we stayed in the river all day due to the storms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts