close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Depth Finder

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by DrChip, Dec 4, 2004.

1. I'm in the market for a new depth finder and I'm looking for some input. What brands do you suggest -- or recommend against? What is a sufficient screen resolution? What features are important? Of course, money is an issue -- I probably won't be able to spend more than about $300.

This will be going on a 17' Tracker boat. I fish mostly for bass, maybe some panfish. My fishing is mostly in the lake of central Ohio -- Alum Creek, Delaware, etc.

Thanks for any input.

2. Take a look at Garmin and see if it fits your budget. :) Their equipment and service on the entry level finders is just as good as their other levels. I had problems with the other name brand as far as service was concerned and the units only lasted a year. :( I'm not referring to Bummingbird. :D

3. recommendation. I've owner Hummingbird and Lowrance, but like the Garmins that I have now better.

4. Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at the Garmin. If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.

chip

5. I'm a Lowrance fan myself, I've used them for years with great dependability. I went out with someone that is a guide while I was on vacation. His boat was rigged with Garmin's and he really expressed his dissatisfaction with the units. I think it boils down to personal preference.

6. I think either Garmin or Lowrance would suit you fine. Personally, my Garmin didn't last two years. I decided to upgrade and bought a Lowrance X125 for about $300. I've been very happy with it so far.

7. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Lowrance and Eagle are the same units, just a different name on the case. Cabelas has the Eagle 320 on sale right now for $159. It's a very nice unit for the money.