Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had much luck putting out boards when using Dipseys at anything but a 0 setting. Obviously the boards take the bait away from the boat, but only after its clipped on. How do I get the bait outside of a planing dipsey? Do I just put the dipsey out last? Or do I just not mix Dipseys and boards?

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
i run dipseys and boards all the time. simply put out your dipseys ( like to run my dipsey rods almost paralllel to the water. then let out your board line to desired amount of line out, clip on board and just let it go straight out behind boat then engage clicker and it will cross over behind the dipsey lines without tangling. hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Be sure that your presentations off your boards are not running deeper than your dipseys. Your outside boards should be pulling lures higher in the water column than your presentations closer to the boat.

You can set a dipsey over another one doing the same thing mentioned above..as long as you have them dialed differently. Set the inside on 1.5 and the outside on 3. When re-setting the 3...let it straight out the back of the boat with the clicker on (free spool) with the rod held high, keeping the diver near the surface...and then once you clear the inside line, engage the reel and it'll dive right into place.

You can also free spool boards right out the back without the clicker, thumbing the spool as it goes...then engage the clicker once cleared of other lines. With some practice...you'll have it down in no time.

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I understand. The assumption of the outside dipsey (3 setting) is that it is deep enough and doesnt plane out far enough to get in the way of the board bait as it floats past, as long as the dipsey rod is straight out the back?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Put out plug, jet or whatever to desired "setback", clip on board and let it go straight off back of boat. I do this in free spool with no clicker and just enough thumb pressure to make sure the board stands but does not pull to side. After you have the board out as far as you want engage reel and clicker and board will swim into place around the dypsy. The same also works for more than one board but I keep the "setback" for the inside board shorter and same depth or deeper. Also if I have 60' to inside board I will let 90' out to second board befor engaging reel and let it swim to the outside.

Hope this helps

reo

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think I understand. The assumption of the outside dipsey (3 setting) is that it is deep enough and doesnt plane out far enough to get in the way of the board bait as it floats past, as long as the dipsey rod is straight out the back?

dipsey can be off the side no problem. I almost never run anything off the back. I like to keep the area directly off the back of the boat "clean" to net fish and set lines.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I've seen an awful lot of boats (as recently as Saturday morning) on Erie running their diver rods straight out the back, and up high, sometimes nearly vertical to the transom. I would think having the rod up like this would increase the probablility of lost fish (angle of the line entering the water)...but I could be wrong (as usual).

You'll get much improved performance by laying them down parallel to the water...and they are out of the way. If you run multiple divers per side, use longer rods on the outside divers to increase the separation.

I have not a clue how guys can set multiple divers or outside boards with a diver rod (or rod pulling a jet) sticking straight up in front of them. That has to be a serious PITA, but apparently an awful lot of guys do it...as I see it all the time!! LOL

Many of the guys with whom I fish put the inside diver rod with the rod tip nearly in the water...then the outside diver slightly higher than that. Works very well, and is a clean setup.

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the dipsey rod is straight out to the side, how do you get the jet or plug to float past the line? It seems like it would have to pass pretty close then?

Maybe its the way my rod holders are set up that is confusing me.

Also, I have tube style holders, I have been keeping my rods up at 45 degrees cause Im worried about a rod beeing pulled out of the holder. But none of them are pointed straight back, so I may be worried for nothing.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If the dipsey rod is straight out to the side, how do you get the jet or plug to float past the line? It seems like it would have to pass pretty close then?

Maybe its the way my rod holders are set up that is confusing me.

Also, I have tube style holders, I have been keeping my rods up at 45 degrees cause Im worried about a rod beeing pulled out of the holder. But none of them are pointed straight back, so I may be worried for nothing.
Let the line out the back.

Board rods nearly vertical and towards front. Dypsey rods nearly horizontil pointing 90* to gunnel and towards the back.

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just now figured it out. Float the plug or jet out the back (Inside the dipseys), the attach the board and it will swing out BEHIND the dipsey lines to the outside....

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
You got it Scaup! Weighted presentations (Snap weighted cranks or spinners or in-line weighted spinners) don't work well off in-lines when run in conjunction with dipseys. Floating (or at least suspending cranks or jets/spoons, etc go well with dipseys. Float the crank or jet to the desired drop, attach the board and float it back too so it has enough line out that it will clear the ouside dipsey as it swings into place (no clicker until it gets a ways behind the boat). Engage gears on reel and place in the holder. Now you're fishing!

Tim

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is going to sound stupid but here goes. I have been using jets with spoons or crankbaits and understand how that works. I am interested in learning how to use dipseys or in-line boards. I have a couple inline boards but don't know how to use them properly. What is the idea with dipseys, do they act like jets, but take your bait off to the side?

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ill try it next time Im out, now that the light finally came on in my head.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
You can put leadcore, mini-discs, etc. pulled behind boards out over the top of divers without issue as well...just be sure the board has clearance past the diver line and then engage the clicker...and that's that...

Like I said above..just be sure that your not pulling stuff deeper on the outside than you are on the inside divers and you should be fine.

Scaup...put your diver rod holder parallel with the gunwhale...the rod won't come out of there...unless you decide to do a tight circle to that side of the boat...and the line goes limp and the diver snags on the bottom....then she'll come out of there!!! OOOPS!! If running two divers, then the second diver (outside) rod holder should be one click up from the inside diver rod holder. This is also where having diver rods that are of differing lengths helps with separation. Shorter rod on the inside, longer on the outside.

We routinely run 3 boards per side and one diver per side without issues. Just keep the entire spread in check at all times and drive the boat with some semblence of direction.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Scaup,
I've attached a picture of the dipsy rod holders on my STBD side. I'm running 8 dipsies, 4 per side. My rods are all the same length (8') and I run them all at the same elevation (1 notch above the horizon so the rod tips don't dip into the water), and they are all straight out from the boat. With my gunwales having a slight downward tilt, my rod holders are just a couple degrees above level. As you might notice in the picture, on each riser holding the rod holder track, I've wrapped and fastened into place a bungy cord which I attach to the left frame of the reels so if a pipe lets go I won't lose the rod. This setup works well for me. The reason I run the rods this way and all the same length, is that it is much easier to see if I pick up weeds or a small trash fish. One of the rod tips will be out of "formation" with the rest. You might have noticed that the aft rod is slightly more bent than the others. That's because I have a harness on there (more drag) and the others have small spoons.

Workdog

Attachments

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That picture blows my mind that you can do that. As a novice I have been struggling with 2 dipseys per side, but you seem to have a system! I doubt Ill ever fish more than 6 rods. My crew tends to be hapless and I am usually stuck taking my idiot dog, who has taken to trying to retrieve the walleye as they splash around at the back of the boat.

Im wanting to make the leap to 4 dipseys and 2 boards. Especially with people doin it with stickbates. I have a few reefrunners that need to see some use.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Scaup - I heard you on the radio in the Vermillion area the weekend of 6/9 -6/10 ( I think it was Sat) screaming about your dog just tried to retrieve an eye and tangled all your lines:p I'd have to consider some sort of leash device to keep him in the boat as that would drive me crazy!!! I took my dog out when he was younger, but he too got interested in fish when he got a bit older and stays home these days.

I trolled right past you and "brother b" as you call him:) many times in the area of the big white anchored boat. I know shortdrift was on Het's boat and they were easy for me to spot. We killed them pretty good not far from there with larger fish that weekend running similiar program as you guys; just fished a little deeper in the water column.

Also - like your handle as an avid "kayaker" myself.

·
Registered
371 Posts
best possible set up that i have run across is to run your dipsey rods flat and off the side. then you run different length rods to keep the tips seperate. in front of those run your board lines straight up. when i worked on the charter we would run 8 dipsies (4 on each side) with 10', 9', 8', and 7' identical rods. when you had to put any one of them back out you just let it fly out the back of the boat and the flip the bail up when it gets where you want it and stick it in the holder. the dipsey will slip right over the others and then settle into its spot as the tension caught up. you can't miss a fish with that set up either as even the smallest white bass will pull the rod tip a noticible amount with all the rods run in sync. with this set up you have the whole back of the boat open and can let your jets or inline boards fly right out the back too. we would run 14 and sometimes even 16 rods and had very few problems. this is how most of the charters do it. kinda sucks when you get into a barrage of steelhead though :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts