Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase this boat there is a long dent along the bottom if you zoom in on the picture you can see it better. The asking price is very good on the whole setup. What do you think about the dent is it a deal breaker?
thanks,'

·
Registered
328 Posts
Depends alot on the price and if it has weakend the interior support, get it on the water first to see if it leaks. If you plan on fishing it for a long time and the price is good you will probably be okay but just remember that when you decide to sell it, you will have the same issue.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Unless the price is REALLY good I wouldn't go for it. As my last boat aged (13 years old) things that weren't an issue when it was new became more obvious at time went on. Things like rivets wearing down on bunks, wiring, transom issues. Little things but many of them that kept on growing. For some they might not have been an issue, for me..... a pain in the #$$!.

Just me, but I would not want anything wrong with it that might impact the integrity of the hull over the long run. And to Applied's point, someday you may want to sell it as well.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Unless the price is REALLY good I wouldn't go for it. As my last boat aged (13 years old) things that weren't an issue when it was new became more obvious at time went on. Things like rivets wearing down on bunks, wiring, transom issues. Little things but many of them that kept on growing. For some they might not have been an issue, for me..... a pain in the #$$!.

Just me, but I would not want anything wrong with it that might impact the integrity of the hull over the long run. And to Applied's point, someday you may want to sell it as well.
But that’s the case with any boat. I think if the price is that good, and as long as the structural integrity is still there, it wouldn’t worry me a bit.

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
I think the boat would be ok. i own a 16' starcraft aluminum boat and the bottom is all dented up and never has taken in any water. also my boat is a 1964 and is still tight on the rivets. see if the guy will take it out on the water to see if it takes any water on.

·
florida ice fishing
14,057 Posts
I had a friend that had an 18' starcraft and he had a wreck while towing the boat. the boat jumped up on the trailer and bent both sides of the boat pretty bad. the 1st time he took it out on lake erie in rough water the dents cracked and had to be welded. if the boat has been being used and hasn't cracked from the stress on the metal from being bent it should be ok. I would take the boat out in rough water and beat the crap out of the bottom to make sure it wasn't going to crack. if it survives the rough water test I would buy it and enjoy it. when and if you sell the boat you will be able to say it has been bent since before you bought it. just my opinion.
sherman

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture. I have duck hunted in many different alum boats that where all dented and dinged on the bottom from hunting along the rocks. Never seen or heard of any problems. Don't want to be rude if you don't mind how much is he asking and what year is that motor looks almost new?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
It isn't possible to tell from the picture how deep and long the dent is or how severely the aluminum plate has been "gouged". There is a significant difference between a dent formed by a slow impact or "bump" versus a deformation made by a fast moving longitudinal strike. A better close up might allow a better review regarding the potential of rib damage also.
In my opinion, I would pass on the boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts