close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dell Computers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zfish, May 1, 2005.

1. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Well through my work we have basically a credit card plan where I have to put 10% down. I was thinking of going to their top of the line Dimension 8400 desktop which is 1899 + 150 to "power it up" . Im not sure what my cost would be yet but I know from other employees its about 25 bucks every 2 weeks out of my check. I can only get one per year like this so I figured I'd go for the biggest. Any opinions on Dell computers would be great as I dont know much about them as a whole. Thanks

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I dont think you can go wrong with a dell!

3. I have had one for about 4 years now. It is still running strong and as fast as I need. The service used to be very good, now it is outsourced to people who you can hardly understand, but once you get past that it is good. I have also had a Gateway which I had a lot of hardware problems, (replaced my hard drive twice and my cd player once).

4. I Have A Dell And Love It..i Also Had A Lot Of Problems With My Gateway..

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I've never had any problems with my Dell aside from the 400 dollar video card I got added to it. At the time it was top of the line GeForce4 NIVIDIA Ti4600.... recently the fan started going out on it and it was overheating. I bought a new ATI, probably never going to look back since I don't think 400 dollar items should go bad in a few years. Yes, I realize replacing the fan would of been the cheap option but with more of the big companys designing their games on ATI cards I made the switch. Valve is the creators of Half-life and Half Life 2. Both games, I play ALOT... video games are my second love next to fishing.

The best suggestion I can give you Mike is not to get the HIGHEST end dell you can. I know you play X-Box, but if you arn't a PC gamer you don't need anything High-end. You're just wasting your money. You'll get another few years out of your machine if you do go high end, just cause of the specs.

If I were you I'de wait till the release of Microsofts "longhorn." I think hardware is going to change a bit, like heavier implementation of 64 bit processors and such and programs that support them. It'll change PCs, at least REAL work machines considerablly.

In short, go with a dell. Buy low end if you want something now. Buy high end when Longhorn comes out. Long horn beta is available now, around this time next year the real deal will roll out, and then I think in 07 the SP will be released. Next year will be the time to upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

6. bird

bird

DELL is a winner. The 8400 is what I use on a daily basis. I haven't had any troubles and boy is it quick. Go for it all and get at least the 17" monitior you'll be happy. :D

7. Zfish

Well I dont know if I'll go with the very top model but deffinatly mid range :)

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

We purchased 2 of them for here at the office and we have had not problems with them yet! Business use here though! :rolleyes: That and OGF surfing! :p haha! No complaints. come to think of it, I am going to have to talk the boss into getting new ones since these are a couple yrs old now :D

9. worminator

worminator I'll be bach

Dells are great. We've been using them at work and at home for the last five years. Replaced my old HP with a Dell a year ago and never looked back. I have the 4600 for home use. It keeps the whole family happy. Like someone already said Dell support is good once you find a person who can speak english. My .02$.

10. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

Get a Dell Dude! You will be happy. Go midrange and load it up with memory and burners, as well as a good video card.

11. Zfish

Here is the one Im thinking of going with

Dimension 8400
    630 with HT Technology
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home edition
    FREE UPGRADE! 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive(7200RPM)w/ Native Command Queuing
    FREE UPGRADE! 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
    128MB PCI Express™ x16 DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE
    Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive
    FREE (3-5 Day) Shipping with System purchase - Online Only!
    FREE 160GB Hard Drive Upgrade!
    FREE Memory Upgrade to 1GB!

$844
    After Member Discount

I am going to have it upgraded to the 17 flat panel and a cdr drive. so Im guessing it will be about 1000.00 or so. Does that sound like a good deal?

12. Sounds good to me.

You probably know this, but make sure that you get the right screen. There is a difference between flat screen and flat panel. I didnt know and was surprised when I got mine, it was my own fault. The one I got is really nice though, so I have no complaints.