Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Still Deadly w/ The Net
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a late, post, so I appologize.

This past Monday I fished Delaware for about 3 hours and caught 12 crappie, some nice keepers, all white, and all on tube jigs tipped with either a maggot or worm. The fish came out of my favorite NE cove in shallow water.

I think this is useful, because the fish were shallow, which is good to see. The were obviously active too. Lake conditions were horrible at best. The wind was howling and visibility was an inch, litterally. While that was bad for that day, the muddy water helps warm up the water tremendously as it absorbs more heat. The cold front that has come through will hold things off for a few more days, but I predict that as soon as the weather warms up again, the wind chills out for a few days and the rain holds off, the water will clear and the crappie will be ON and the bite will be HOT!! I'm pumped! Good luck fella's let me know how you do!

Fish on!

·
Keep'n It Reel
1,543 Posts
Muddy water warms faster. Another key factor I find is that light penetration is drastically reduced and Crappie's dont like bright light. Therefore fish will typically move to shallower water since it warms faster. We fished Indian last weekend and found the larger crappies moved shallow, we found a few in less then 12" of water. Im stubborn to use live bait , In all that I have seen and read Crappies are more of a sight feeder vs. smell. Little meat on the hook might help me put a few more fish in the boat on the days when visibility is limited. Pink was always a go to color for me in muddy water but It didnt work worth a hoot last weekend. I found faith in a new color in muddy water, hope it works on Delaware as well as it did at Indian. 2 years ago at the OGF tourney we had a major front come through. That week was in the 70 and 80's so the fish were shallow. Once that front came through I and alot of fellas thought the fish would be back out in the deeper water, to our suprise we tried what was working that week and the fish were still in the shallow water. Every fish we weighed in came in less then 2 feet of water on a 35 degree day. We ended up in 2nd place that day!!!

Small fish will almost always be in the shallow water, its them pigs that are hard to track down. I think this year the date selected is going to make it a real challenge, the fish at that point can be scattered in, out or on the edge. Also I think another challenge of this year will be at what point the carp are moving in, that plays a good factor too.

Great Post Erie Angler!!!

Sowbelly

·
Super Moderator
3,925 Posts
Dont know if there is any scientific sense in this but i like YELLOW and BLACK in very stained water.

I may come out and watch you guys weigh in for the OGF carppie tourney.

·
Still Deadly w/ The Net
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont know if there is any scientific sense in this but i like YELLOW and BLACK in very stained water.

I may come out and watch you guys weigh in for the OGF carppie tourney.
Absolutely, you should always use a non-transparent dark color in stained water such as black or blue. I was using a 1/16 oz head and black and chartruse tube. Non-transparent means stay away from smoke or tube that has a clear base and dark glitter.

As far as bait, I prefer wax worms 10 to 1. I think the opaque white color of them against the tube makes them much more visible. BUT, ... (there's a but) I allways tip my tubes, so I think bait is a factor and I belive on windy days you will do better with a minnow, using the same weight head as it will give you better line control due to the added weight and since the water is typically murky on such days, it gives you a bigger profile and is more visible. Crappie are definately sight feeders, I'm convinced that strikes are often more reaction than necessarily feed oriented. But regardless if that is true, those tactics typically work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts