Delaware Lake first timer

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CDL, Oct 22, 2008.

1. CDL

CDL

I'm planning on heading out to Delaware Lake for the first time this weekend if it's not pouring the rain. Anybody have any tips on what to throw? Decent spots? Unfortunately, I have to stick to shore.

2. wut?

wut?

Shore Fishing=Fail @ Delaware.

3. Try the main marina between the ramp and concreate. Crappie jigs or just minnows. They might be in their. Not to many place to shore fish without getting snagged around the lake. Take waders if you got them. Try below the spillway also. Dam area on lake side. Their is a pond on your right when heading into the main marinia which holds some fish also.Good luck.

4. CDL

CDL

Can Alum be fished from shore? I've neer been there either. Any other suggestions of places to fish from shore that are on the north or west side of Columbus?

5. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Hit the spillways man. For me, the actual lakes are a futile efford from shore during cooler months.

6. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I wouldn't write off fishing the shore of the lakes this time of year. In fact, I think it is one of the best time to fish from shore at Alum and Hoover. Admittedly, I have never fished Delaware from shore.

I know there are a couple guys on here that do really well from shore @ Alum this time of year.

Crappie, white bass, saugeye, and the occasional largemouth or smallmouth can all be caught from shore right now! Just got to find them ;)

I would start at the rip rap areas. Try the 36/37 bridge on Alum. I've done well for crappie there before.

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

He's right. If you are dead set on fishing the actual lake, find the riprap. Fan cast.

8. CDL

CDL

I'm definitely not dead set on fishing the lake. I live in Marysville and I'm just looking for a new place to try that's under an hour away. If there's somewhere better to fish from the bank, I'm all ears.

9. One option is to fish the riprap in the main lake by the dam. Minnows and a bobber or jigs for crappies and you could use wax worms or worm pieces to also catch bluegills.

10. I'd throw a spinner and some crappie jigs, I catch small white bass that put up a nice fight every fall from the shore. Try the marina or by the dam this is the best time of year to fish Delaware. I live like 3 miles away so I may see ya there.

11. Hey CDL, check your PM's
    Tim