Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team Bowman/Sayres
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if its crappie you seek, you need to be slow trolling at delaware. Lord only knows how many 9-10" fish we caught today, couldnt show them anything they didnt like, minnows,crankbaits,jigs,tubes,roadrunners,bigger minnows,red minnows,dead minnows,giant minnows ect.
evidently its no secret about spider-rigging there. Slowly pulling cranks caught several big 12+" fish(they wont weigh much though:(), stay at it long enough, and cover enough ground, you'll find those big blacks.

Fished just out of the no-wake zone on the west bank.

HB:T

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was there on Saturday too, and caught many 7-8 inch fish, but nothing larger. I saw 20 + people slow trolling, and figured there must have been a tournament going on. I tried to stay out of the way since I was only fishing for fun, and dinner. We ended up eating hot dogs, but what the heck they're good too. LOL We used small jigs and minnows.

·
Team Bowman/Sayres
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you were correct, there was a crappie tournament that day. The winning weight was 5.32lbs, and those bags of fished looked like they would weigh 8lbs!
We caught our fair share of short fish(6-8") as well, but im certain we could have put at least 75 fish in the livewell, aside from the 8 tournament fish.
other than 2 catfish and a handful of bluegill/rockbass, we caught nothing but target fish, unusual for trolling as much as we did.

HB:G

·
Team Bowman/Sayres
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh and by the way fishingdog, i really appreciate your thoughts about avoiding the tournament fishermen. It seems that tournament fishermen rank about 3 notches below scum, and normally get a very bad rap. 99% of the time you would never conflict with tournament anglers anyway, regardless what you were doing or fishing for. I would never expect anybody to go out of their way, or ruin there day of fishing for us, but its rather odd how much it happens the other way around, yet we still get the label as slobs...:confused:

The pleasure boaters just dont seem to care about any anglers, tournament or otherwise...LOL we got to ride some dandy wakes while trolling, put some action on those crank baits even a Peacock bass would have a hard time catching!

·
Multi Species Angler
6,188 Posts
you were correct, there was a crappie tournament that day. The winning weight was 5.32lbs, and those bags of fished looked like they would weigh 8lbs!
We caught our fair share of short fish(6-8") as well, but im certain we could have put at least 75 fish in the livewell, aside from the 8 tournament fish.
other than 2 catfish and a handful of bluegill/rockbass, we caught nothing but target fish, unusual for trolling as much as we did.

Looks like it was actually 5.55 lbs to win the tourney based on the data posted on the BCC website. Anyway, that lake is certainly full of nice crappie. It also has some nice channel catfish in it.

·
Catfisherman for life;)
212 Posts
im planning on taking the boat up there and wanted to know where at in the lake would be best for Channel Cat/Crappie/Bass Probly will be using things like minnows/Spinerbaits/small Jigs/Stuff like that ThanksForAnyInfo!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
well i can tell you in my honest opinion two of the better catfish spots on delaware lake. One of them youd have to head way north. but the spots arent great for bass, but not too far from a good crappie spot

·
Catfisherman for life;)
212 Posts
i Was Also Wondering I Know Of A Spot Way North In The Lake At The Mouth Of The River Where Theres A Little Ramp With A Small Concrete Platform Im Not For Sure The Name Of The Road I Think Its Off Of 217 Or Something Like That The Same Road NortonBait&Tackle Is On I Know That Alot Of People Catch Big Carp There I Was Wondering What Kind OF Baits To Use For Them Or How To Set Up A Rig For Them?

·
Registered
743 Posts
What kind of crankbaits do you use trolling for crappie. And how deep do they run? Trolling really seems the way to go to find the big slabs.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Never heard of trolling for crappie. Might have to try this how do you do it? Speeds?

·
Team Bowman/Sayres
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SLOW TROLLING

when spider-rigging or slow trolling, we run 2 rods off the front and 2 off the back, we troll tandem minnow rigs at .01-.03mph, and thats a 1/4 ounce weight to keep it nearly vertical.
When trolling the road-runners(very efective by the way), .02.05mph seems the best, they will run faster, but get kinda wobbly at those speed, still generally use a 1/4 ounce weight.

I use the "Bitsy Minnnow" crank baits, think there made by strike king, but not sure. Anyway, about the smallest readily availabe crank bait ive found. I like the white, or shad pattern.
Depending on depth, they run best at .03-.08mph, although they can be ran much faster. At .04mph, they have a sweet little wobble. If im trolling them deeper than 8-12 feet deep, i'll use a 1/2 ounce weight, but generally like the 1/4 for the slower and shallower water.

Dont be fooled into thinking only big crappie will hit them, ive caught 4 and 5 inch crappie on crankbaits, i do however like your odds with a bigger bait. If the bite is slow, dont be afraid to tip the belly hook with a crappie nibble or wax worm, a little scent never hurt anything.

You can also long-line troll crankbaits, i have never seen the need to, i know its effective, but i have no idea on how or where to tell you to start that.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Thanks. I can't get that slow but if I ever have the opportunity i will definately have to try it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We have decent results with the standard crappie setup. My dad exclusively trolls with jigs and twisters in Florida, about 1-1.5 mph, and catches slabs all day. Tried it up here with good results. Same colors and such as for fishing the brush, only bump up to a heavier jig to get sufficient depth with 50-75 feet of line out. No limit on # of poles in FL, and Dad has 10 rod holders with different lengths of poles on his boat. Usually has half a dozen going if he's fishing alone. Looks like sputnik floating across the lake! Just don't get too close though if he snags a 15" pleco LOL. Doesn't cuss, but if you have even a hint of a smile, he might slap you after untangling all those lines.;)

andesangler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts