close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dek-Block

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tomb, Jun 29, 2007.

1. tomb

tomb Tom B.

2. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Yeah, i've got 20- 25 of them under my deck. They work great. Easy also. I just layed down a bed of sand and leveled them. No holes to dig, and they are stable.

I used a 2x4 to level them one to the next, took a couple hours or so tops.

3. They don't heave from the freeze/thaw with out a concrete footer?

4. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

I honestly don't know what heave means, but I assume it means move or something.

If so, no. Atleast nothing noticeable. My deck is 6 years old and is still the same as the day I built it. I think if they are set right, they would and should be fine.

My yard is very rocky and clay, digging all those holes would of been a nightmare.

5. They move up and down with the freeze thaw. Tie your deck into the house at one level only the ban board of the deck to the house. Also if you are putting on a handrail dont tie it into the house let it move with the deck hold it off the house a inch should be sufficient. I wouldnt use themin a area i new was going to be wet or muddy for prolonged periods.

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i dug the holes. i didn't think the blocks would hold up over the years.

7. Thats what we are doing now. Putting a 38x17 deck off the back. Heave does mean move with the freeze/thaw. We dug the holes also. We rented a hydrolic auger from Home Depot and it worked great! One man can dig the holes with this thing. We are not attaching the deck as it will be free floating. Meaning it is not attached to the house. We lade out a hole every 8' and 36" deep. Well one we hit a big ass rock so it is only 26". I was not digging the rock out. lol

8. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Thanks for the info guys. If anyone else has more i'd be glad to hear it. I'm still in the planning stage.