Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've caught plenty of carp in the spillway of Deercreek using a doughball bait and shrimp. We've fished Buckcreek the last 6 years from a boat, trolling and anchored. Didn't catch a single carp and I know they were in there. We're mostly catters but like catching carp as well. My guess is trolling won't catch many carp, but I would have thought anchored would have resulted in at least one carp in the last six years. Is there something I'm missing to catching carp from a boat?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've caught plenty of carp in the spillway of Deercreek using a doughball bait and shrimp. We've fished Buckcreek the last 6 years from a boat, trolling and anchored. Didn't catch a single carp and I know they were in there. We're mostly catters but like catching carp as well. My guess is trolling won't catch many carp, but I would have thought anchored would have resulted in at least one carp in the last six years. Is there something I'm missing to catching carp from a boat?
Check out outlaw77 s post on scioto im sure he could share some tactic with you he kills.em at deercreek n i do know primarily we fish from bank when we target carp

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Anchor near shallows at night.
Doughballs and corn, don't be afraid to throw right near bank. Overhanging tree branches can be good if you can throw back under them. I don't fish deer creek, but this generally works most places

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anchor near shallows at night.
Doughballs and corn, don't be afraid to throw right near bank. Overhanging tree branches can be good if you can throw back under them. I don't fish deer creek, but this generally works most places
Also going to try a hair rig. Been watching a lot of videos and seems to be the way to go for carp.

·
Rough Fish Ambassador
829 Posts
Deer Creek Lake can be tough targeting Carp from boat simply because they are generally weary of all the noise so I prefer to boat into a nice secluded bank & set up shop. With Raptors so prevalent on the lake big Carp tend to shy away from the shallow water -however the first spot I would recommend fishing is right by the Osprey nests across from old 207 road because I see them hunting quite often and it's generally carp they have for dinner. Your also likely to get into the massive schools of Smallmouth & Black Buffalo Suckers in that area coming out of the actual Creek. I would recommend chumming several areas and trying until you're on the fish then keep the bait going in. Good luck & keep us posted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deer Creek Lake can be tough targeting Carp from boat simply because they are generally weary of all the noise so I prefer to boat into a nice secluded bank & set up shop. With Raptors so prevalent on the lake big Carp tend to shy away from the shallow water -however the first spot I would recommend fishing is right by the Osprey nests across from old 207 road because I see them hunting quite often and it's generally carp they have for dinner. Your also likely to get into the massive schools of Smallmouth & Black Buffalo Suckers in that area coming out of the actual Creek. I would recommend chumming several areas and trying until you're on the fish then keep the bait going in. Good luck & keep us posted
You got me on raptor? I have no clue what you're talking about. :( Ok had to look at a map to make sure I knew what you were calling the old 207 and that would be the old 207. LOL. That's where I was starting our trolling path at. I'd drive up into the cove, which looks a lot larger on Google maps than it does in a boat. We got some decent bites in that area from trolling.

Thanks for telling me about the Black Buffalo. I would have called it a strange looking carp when we caught one. :)

·
Rough Fish Ambassador
829 Posts
20160823_152141.jpg

Raptor is just the cool way of saying birds of prey particularly Osprey Eagles and Hawks make a pretty good living in DC. In the Scioto we often catch Carp that bare scars where they have been snatched & escaped the talons from Osprey.
20170622_081543.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK so like an actual raptor. LOL. I thought you were using the word for slang for something. Hoping to make it out this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 239828
Raptor is just the cool way of saying birds of prey particularly Osprey Eagles and Hawks make a pretty good living in DC. In the Scioto we often catch Carp that bare scars where they have been snatched & escaped the talons from Osprey.
View attachment 239827
The first picture didn't load for me until this morning. Nice haul! The spillway is where we catch most of the carp. Do you recall what you were using for bait that day? Someone shared with us a peanut butter dough that they made and it was tearing up the little ones which was a lot of fun.

·
Rough Fish Ambassador
829 Posts
I use a Southern Carp paylake style bead rig -similar to the hair rig with a permanently affixed bead tied to the hair.
To this I mold method mix around the bead & try to cast to the same spot repeatedly essentially making a small pile of chum on the bottom - as fish feed on the method mix they will come in contact with your bead and scarf it up.
Method mix is just a another way of saying highly dissolvable dough or paste bait . This can be as simple as old fashioned oats and a can of creamed corn or as exotic as you see fit .You want your mix to be firm enough to be able to cast yet will break down and dissolve once in the water for a few minutes. This style of fishing is highly effective for carp cat and suckers, it plays on they're gluttonous voracious eating style similar to goldfish being fed in a garden pond.
I'm sorry to overload you with so much information but this is definitely a unique style that is highly effective if you wish to know more I am an open book and willing to share.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts