close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer problem any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JV1, Jun 6, 2004.

1. JV1

JV1

for the last 2 months a deer has been stopping by 2 times a day 8 am and 8 pm and eating me out of everything... so far she ate 25 strawberry bushes , and all the green leaves and buds from apple, pear, peach,plum,apricot and cherry trees, as soon as new leaves sprout she eats them keeping the newly planted tree's bare... she has now discovered our zucchinni and cucumber plants ... this deer is becoming a major headache and already has cost me about $200 in trees and plants/shrubs, i threw out moth balls she walked on them, i tried bottle rockets she got used to them in 3 days now does not even flinch, i walk out there and literally physically push her away from the fruit trees , she is starting to flatten her ears and wheeze at me in anger... this yearling deer is fed by everyone in the neighborhood and has no fear of humans or dogs, my dogs ran her off a few times now they are friends... any suggestions? shooting her is out of the question ... here is a photo (taken from my cell phone so not that clear) at 9 am this morning [​IMG]

2. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

You can call the DNR and request and removal of the animal, or you can request a special permit to harvest the animal. They should be able to help you.

3. Go to a barber shop and ask for hair clippings. Put the hair around the plants. Seen it in a movie so it has to work...... LOL........ Rich

4. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

That actually does work for small game such as rabbits and squirells.

At least my barber says he gets people asking for clippings all the time.

In a case where the animal is not affraid of humans, it needs to be removed, or harvested better yet. It may have become dependent on people and not able to survive in the wild alone.

5. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I don't know if this will work with this animal, but my friend had deer eating everything in their yard and they put out coyote urine. It worked for them, but doesn't sound like this deer will mind. Maybe getting a low power pellet gun and hit it with a flathead pellet. The pellet will not penetrate the skin, just bounce off, but will get the deers attention with a little bruise. it has been known to work on keeping small animals out of my yard.

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

The make a very large nylon fence for these problem, but they are an eye sore. Good luck solving this problem humanly, sounds like a toughy.

7. A friend had the very same problem with deer as well as neighbors that didn't want the deer harmed. The solution was as previously suggested. Get a permit to harvest the animal and then have a friend do the dirty work with a well placed crossbow shot. The neighbors should get over it in a few weeks.
    We have deer all around us but Daisy and Penny seem to do a good job keeping them away from the primary part of our and the neighbors yards.
    Wanna rent the two of them? :D ;)

Good luck on solving your problem.

8. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

gitcha one of them Electric fences Volpe....................That should work !! :eek:

9. I agree with Mlarosa.

I think that the only way you are going to get rid of that deer is to have it relocated or shoot it. if you do shoot it, make sure it is someone from the dow if they will do it, so you dont get any crap from anyone. just a thought. dont want any tree huggers knocking :mad: on your door.good luck. tony

10. paco

paco

tie white rags to some small trees eye level for the deer when that stops working go to white plastic bags or small bells on your white rags . :)

11. Ron Wilson on WTVN in Columbus Saturday had this same question asked of him. He suggested the hair thing or used kitty litter. Said it should work for about any critter that wants into your plants. The main thing is to get scents of their predators around the plants. He also suggested rotating these things to keep them off guard.

12. go get some of the hottest peppers you can find.put them in a gallon jug filled with water,set outside for about a week in the sun.pour the liquid in a spray bottle & spray the plants you want to keep.no amimals like hot peppers!other than that fishing line tied around shurbs & trees also works,deer can't see it.if you use the fishing line try to tie it so when the deer hits it that it shakes small bushes.Daryl

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Hmm, I'd say a .243 should do it.

Anyway, I think Tractor Supply sells (or at least did sell) bars w/ anti deer scents to keep deer out of gardens. They look like a huge bar of soap. I think they are/were around $6.00 per bar.

I am planning on buying a couple & putting near someone A holes deerstand since he decided to take my old huting spot!