close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer opener gonna be warm!!

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by BigChessie, Sep 28, 2005.

1. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Guys don't forget to take every precaution this weekend with your deer. If you happen to tag one, be sure to field dress it properly and keep clean. Invest in a "bug tamer" cover, only costs around 5 bucks. BE SURE to ice the deer down by filling it up with bags of ice! Everything you do this time of year while in the field with it will make or break your desire to eat it or make dog food. Just be smart and use common sense with it. Try to have some type water with u at the truck to be able to finish cleaning up the field dress mess you may have made. If you have any doubts about removing the Bladder and "poop shoot" just tie them off and let the butcher remove them. If you do your own processing then you already know how important it is to have a area with air movemnet and cool. Good luck guys and be safe!

2. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

now i just need a place to go shoot one!

3. PLEASE don't ride em around in the back of the truck all day to show off. Walk in cooler at my buddies place gets turned on Friday night.

4. Good reminder BigChessie! Whenever I am fortunate enough to get one in this warm of weather I always cut them up immediately and get them in the freezer. I know that many people feel that allowing them to hang for a while is better to cure the meat. However, this weather will only do more to rot the meat than cure it.

5. Good reminder BigChessie. From my days as a restaurant manager here are a couple of things to keep in mind: Moisture creates ideal breeding grounds for bacteria. The danger zone for bacterial growth is 40 to 140 degrees. You have roughly four hours before bacteria begin to grow. Avoid cross contaminating the carcass with bacteria from the intestinal tract and cut away any tainted meat.

I cut my own and help my buddies do the same. We like to let 'em hang for at least a day or 2 and we usually don't hunt until it gets colder. But I understand it is opening weekend!!! If you are more concerned with quality eating, shoot a small one! They cool quickly, are less work to cut up and usually require no ageing to be tender.

Good luck to all and don't climb a tree without your harness!!

Big E

6. Amen! I have my eye on a certain fawn... :D

7. I have not had a 100 #'r that could not go from carcass to grill without much more than a little salt and pepper!

Best ever was a button buck my buddy took in Athens a few years ago. Cut him up by lantern light and headlights. Steaks with a slice of onion on each side wrapped in bacon cooked over the campfire. Best venison we will ever eat!

8. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i'm not in any real hurry to get out yet.come mid october and the cooler weather it'll be a different story though.they've been taking alot of the crops off around me and i've been seeing alot more deer.it's been so darn hot out lately that i swear i've lost weight just from scouting!!!

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I used to help a local butcher process dear. I couldn't believe it when guys would show up with deer that had maggots in the cavity, then get angry when we would refuse to touch the deer.

Packing the cavity with ice helps a little, but still doesn't give adequate cooling to keep the meat from spoiling. I would take along a polytarp to wrap the deer as well, and pack ice all around the deer.

It would be better to quarter the deer, and pack the parts in ice in a large cooler. The meat will still "age".

Another thing to keep in mind in the warmer weather is to check your arms and such for ticks after you field dress your deer.

10. As I road to Milton up the Pike I saw 3 Big Bucks not 20 yrs away. Two were locked together while the 3rd watched! !% Never see that again! You guys have a safe year. Ill be back on the track when the boys get older. Freeze gallon milk jugs and load a cooler full! :)

11. I don't imagine they were seriously locked up. They were most likely just sparring. If not then that will be one buck with a major attitude come time for the things to heat up.;)