close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

deer meat ?????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishingful, Jul 19, 2004.

1. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

how long is deer meat good for in the freezer????
    thanks ........jim :D

2. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I wrap mine in saran wrap, freezer paper and then in a freezer bag, it lasts up to 1 1/2 to 2 years.

3. It really depends on many diff conditions but the norm being 6 - 8 mos for meat that was not properly taken care of and longer if wrapped to avoid any air which is death to any pc of meat deer or other... 1 year tops so from season to season is a good rule of thumb :D
    I de-bone and de-fat mine and use my cuz's vacum pac to give my meat the best chance to last longer and taste better...

4. The longest any venison lasted in my freezer was about 2 months....just can't stand seein' it sit there being ignored. Roasts are always the last to go, but even they taste good made into chili for a super bowl party with lots of beer.

5. I have my meat cut and wraped at a comercial outlet that also offers buffalo and ostrich meat. They vacuum pack in a very thick non-permiable plastic. I have had backstraps which were overlooked for 18 months that were perfect when thawed. The processor said their wrap will last between 24and 30 months. :cool: I have a roast and a backstrap that is in the freezer for testing going on two years come October. :cool: I"ll thaw both in mid October and eat it prior to using the meat I plan to get in early October. :)

6. I have a Giant Eagle butcher process my venison for me and he just uses butcher paper. The meat has alway lasted until the next season.

7. Like others have said,if wraped right it should last to the next season easy.

8. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

deer chili....mmmmmmmmmm.....thats good Bambi!!

:)

9. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

Hell we have had deer meat in the Freezer for a couple years before eating it. If it gets freezer burnt we always use it for turtle bait. But if you wrap it properly it should stay fine for a very very long time.

The reccommended time I always heard for making jerky was to freeze the meat for 6-9 months anyways to allow any bacteria in the meat to die. So you can figure atleast that long, but if there is no freezer burn on it, it should be ok.

10. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Mine is always gone by next season. I got 2 deer this year so it may make it till I get one this year. Steaks, roasts, and JERKY!!!! I butcher mine myself. Debone and defat. Keep the roasts, the filets for steaks, and homemade jerky for the rest. It saves a ton of money.