close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

deer jerky

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Walter Adkins, Nov 20, 2004.

1. What is your favorite recipe for jerky. My wife complains that mine make the whole house stink. :eek: This is one of the things that see puts up with in her eyes. She realy is a country girl at heart, she just does not know it. :D

2. I say if she doesn't like it just give it all to me!!!

3. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i use a store bought brand of seasoning.it's called "hi mountain jerkey cure and seasoning".it is the absolute best that i've ever used.they make it in several different flavors but the one i like the best is bourbon bbq.
    i just finished up about 4lbs of elk jerkey i made with it and it was the best batch i've ever made.

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

2-3 lbs meat (cut in thin strips)
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp minced garlic
    2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp liquid smoke
    dusting of cayenne powder

5. I just open the spice cabinet and start dumping stuff into a big bowl of water, or sometimes half water and half apple juice, then go to the fridge and see what is in there stuff like A1 steak sauce hot sauce just about whatever you can find. Soak the meat for a while in the brine the either smoke it or put it in the dehydrator. It always turns out goood, sometimes better than others but there is never any left.

6. I agree with JeffMo, Hi Mountain is the best out there. I love the Cajun flavor.

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Its real easy.

1 cup of terriyaki sauce
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    A pinch of salt
    A pinch of pepper

Stir ingredients well
    Place meat strips in a ziplock back
    Pour in marinade
    Leave in fridge over night
    Place in dehydrator
    Remove when desired texture is reached

YUMMY

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am jerky stupid, so what I want to know is, Do you have to use a dehydrator or is there another way to bake it or something?? I want to try to make some, but I don't have the dehydrator!

9. Hey, you should fill lucky you are only jerky stupid. I use the oven. Set it on the lowest setting. Place your meat on toothpicks and hang it on the racks. Twistertail I have tried the everything in the mix to, not bad some of the time. When it is bad though, it is real bad. I may try that store brand.

10. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

A decent dehydrator can be had for around $30 or less from either Walmart or Target. I got mine at a garage sale NIB for $5. best $5 I ever spent.

Dried apples make for a nice treat as well. Recipe:

Core and peel apples
    Slice approximately 1/8" thick.
    Soak in 1/4 cup lemon juice to 2 cups water for 2-2.5 minutes
    Lay on dehydrator rack
    Sprinkle with cinnamon
    Dry to desired texture

I like crispy! Tart and Sweet! ;)

11. The oven works just fine but wedge something in the door so the air can circulate a little. Anyone smoke jerky? I might try that this year if I get some meat.

12. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

If you use beef, what cut of beef do you use?
    As I don't hunt, I use "Eye Of The Round" beef roasts to make all of my jerky. Its kind of expensive, but very lean. I hand cut mine, and have learned a great tip. Freeze your meat to a point of say, 2/3 totally frozen; then cut it up.
    You will get cold hands, but it really cuts down on the work.;)

I make two basic types of jerky.
    Terriaki flavored, (add some dark brown sugar for a flavor boost);) ; and what I simply call-Western. The second is derived from a combination of Worchestershire Sauce, A-1 Marinade Sauce, Liquid Smoke(Mesquite & Hickory), garlic, onion powder, etc.

- Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  13. If you want to use beef like I do
    hate to waste deer meat on jerky :eek:
    I use the square rump roast which
    make good ol' chewy jerky the kind I like...
    Any kind of beef will do as long as its lean and has very minimal fat or none at all... Always cut off any fat or as much as you can find...

I use a $19 dehydrator bought from Target a few years back and slice my meat by using a slicer that cost the same...

2-3 lbs meat of choice
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp black or white pepper

Pour over meat in a zip lock baggie and shake sealed baggie well then open bag press out as much air as you can then re-seal... Leave in fridge over night then place in dehydrator...
    AWESOME stuff