close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer Creek

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Smallie Chaser, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Thought I would pass on a little info..I was at Deer Creek today trying to bag a groundhog or two before the season ends for me..they seemed to have just started to let the water down...I noticed going over the Cooke-Yankeetown bridge that the creek to the north of the bridge is down to little more than a trickle...South of the bridge it appears to be the same(summer pool) until you get down on Old 207 and you can just start to see the tops of stumps and branches etc...stopped by Marys for a bottle of pop and the guy in there told me that they were catching some Crappies..when I asked him where he said in 10 foot of water??? wish he could have been more specific but thats all he would say...I asked about below the spillway and he said it was slow down there but that he thought it would pick up in a couple weeks when they really start to draw the lake down.

2. You can get into some nice crappie up the creek a few miles from the lake. I was up there a few weeks ago with polesnatcher and he go on that was about 15". I catch lots of them in the spring up the creek and there seems to be a lot of them that stay up there the whole summer. Deer Creek is really becoming a great crappie lake.

3. Deer Creek was a good Crappie lake back in the early 80s until it got hit a little to hard...to many 100-150 fish stringers came out of there...the last year or so though its been my impression as well that its starting to make a comeback :)

4. I think it has been 3 or 4 years since they put the 9" limit on crappie and I think that has made the difference. It used to be very rare to catch a crappie over 9" but the last 3 years I have caught at least one fish Ohio each spring. The one polesnatcher got was the biggest crappie I have ever seen caught. I had one day last spring that my dad and I caught about 20 and they were all 10" or better.

5. your statement about dropping some hogs at deer creek b\4 the season ends brings back memories of some of the best outdoor moments of my life! That place flat out rocks for early spring and early fall up until 1st day of pheasant. Good luck on the rest of the season!

6. Again groundhog hunting there is like everything else...seems to have been better before than it is presently...back in the late 80s early 90s it was primo...today its touch and go...I see more hunters in a single trip today than I did in a entire spring back then...but its still alot of fun.

7. you ever get those pictures developed yet shane?

8. I have not had anything to take a picture of since then. I will just burn up some pictures on some things around the house, like my wifes pregnant belly:D You still got school on Monday and Wednesday? I'm going to go someplace next week on one of those days if you want to hook up.

9. wow, see i have not been since about 93 and started about 86. sad to hear about that. i appologize for getting way off topic here guys, but hog hunting at deer creek was a lot of fun with lots of variety of shooting situations and tons of hogs.

10. i went back and reread about your prime years, we had to have run into one another at the range or passed while scouting.

11. We might have...I used to spend alot of time at the range in the early to mid 90s...I make 1 or 2 trips a year to the range now...where as then I was at the range once a week...the hunting pressure has dropped off a bit lately..but its still more than in the past...some fields down there can still produce pretty good...I think they are catering more to the Rabbit and Pheasant hunters down there than anything.