close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer Creek yesterday

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by twistertail, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Fished the spillway for a little while yesterday afternnoon. There were lots of people there and I saw a good number of fish caught. Lots of small eyes and a few crappie and catfish and what looked like a few white bass. I caught one saugeye about 14 or 15 inches which was the biggest one I saw caught while I was there. Anyone else fish there yesterday?

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

YUP...but i never go anywhere near the spillway....im not an s-eye angler...them cigars are NOT my style...lol.

I was fishing a cove for carp.......fish were everywhere!!

Scott

3. Did you land any? How was the lake?
    I have caught several carp at the spillway before on jigs

4. [​IMG]

Here is Ashley and me at the spillway. She did not get to fish this time but maybe next time.:D

5. I fished the bank corner just behind you in the pic, nice pic by the way, she looks like a hand full. I caught 5 small saugeyes, 12" range with one that pushed 14", tossed em back. I couldnt believe some guys were actually keeping them. The guy next to me caught a nice 12"-14" crappie on a minnow, can't wait to get back out, later.

_Dan

6. Was you with your boy? I talked to a guy on the way back to my truck that was fishing that corner and said he caught several small ones. I saw the guy catch that crappie too, looked like a nice one. I saw one guy leaving that had 5 or 6 in a basket that could not have been more than 8". After I tossed back the one I got the guy beside me, that caught that crappie, said if I got anymore I could toss them in his bucket if I wanted, I just said I'll see if I get anymore.

7. Yeah,

I took my nephew fishing for a while, he had a blast but didn't catch anything except for numerous snag ups. I hadn't been down there to fish in a number of years, last time was spring of 1999, was hoping to see some bigger fish, perhaps the 22" range one's will start heating up here real soon. I'll probaly get back down this weekend, might give Hoover a try, I've never fished there before, by the way I was tossing a 1/8 ounce jig with a Chartreuse twister yesterday. later.

_Dan

8. I have always got the bigger ones at night or early morning. I would get there about 3 or 4 in the morning and fish till about 8:00, you avoid all the crowds then too. The best time seems to be around 5:00am or so. I got 2 23 inchers in one morning along with an 18 incher. Let me know if you want to hook up sometime. I'd like to fish Hoover, never been there before. I was using 1/8oz jig with a white tail. I tossed a small rapala a few times when I first got there but not even a sniff.

9. good to see you got out with the girl
    Man she's growing fast
    I'm going to hit the dam tonight should be packed out with people
    Sooner or later we'll get our schedules together and hook up
    Geowol

10. Hey George I was looking around for ya yesterday. I had that eye problem that you had the other day so I left at noon. My wife and baby followed me over and we walked around a bit then they left and I fished a little while. Good luck tonight. I should be able to make it over one night next week, I'll get in touch with ya.
    I know she is growing fast, she is 3 and a half months old and we have friends that have a 10 month old and she is bigger than he is and other friends that have a 7 month old and she is bigger that her also! I think the wife is feeding her steak and baked taters during the day!

11. Hey Twistertail, is the month of April usually a good month to fish the spillway? I fished it once in Feb. and had a few hits but no fish. THought about trying to hit it again before classes start hitting me hard. How long should I fish till if I wanted to try it at night? It's a little bit of a drive to get there by 5, had to leave Athens a little after 3 in the morning.

12. It should be good through April and you will start getting some bass, crappie and white bass along with the saugeye. You can catch fish there all day long but I have had better luck at night or early morning. If you can get there before the sun comes up you should be ok. I always liked getting there earlier than what I really needed too just to make sure I can get my favorite spot. On the weekend by 7:00 or 7:30 you may be lucky to find a place to stand, that is another reason I liked getting there really early. You can do just as good at night but I think there are more people that fish the evening and into the night than there are that come in really early in the morning. Be carefull if you fish at night, I have done it plenty of times by myself and had no problems but have heard from other people its not a good place to be alone in the middle of the night. Also you may do a little better at night with minnow baits with rattles instead of twistertails, although you can still catch them with tails.

13. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

have u fished whites mill in athens? when i was in school around 5 years ago, i would load up on sauger and saugeye and walleye in april. i pass up deer creek to fish it every year. trust me, whites mill is a better spot than deer creek spillway. no offense but with people keeping 10 in eyes its no wonder the fish average small there. i wish the dnr could and would do something about it.

14. Hey freak I know what you mean, people keeping lots of small fish. The guy beside me caught one and asked me if there was a size limit it was only about 7 inches and he was wanting to keep it. 10 inches is a big one compated to most of the ones that are keep.

15. By the way, I did look around for a sign with something about the paddlefish but didnt see anything and still have not got an email back from the DNR about them.
    They do have the parking lot done with a big shelter house and bathrooms.

16. Hey Striperfreak, just wondering how close to the waterfall at White's Mill you were fishing? Now the mill have closed off the parking area next to the store along the road and not sure if the property is off limits to fishing. I could always go to the opposite shore or also wait until the water goes back down and river is wadable. THen I could wade out and fish right off the large sandbar right in front of the falls. I am going to do more fishing around the campus area of the river.

17. I fished the rip rap behind the dam a little bit Tuesday and didn't get nothing.

Gotta watch other people out there at night, me and a buddy used to fish it quite a bit before we got real jobs :rolleyes: and had someone seem like they were gonna walk up on us till we turned around a couple of times.

The paddle fish signs I've seen were by the first "pier" down by the old parking lot and bathrooms

18. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Hey PoleSnatcher, were you wearing shorts and carry'in a blue tackle bag(maybe shimano brand)??

If so i was the idiot sitting at the point accrossed from ya trying to catch some carp from the big backwater area.
    I fished yesterday and today most in one cove in the northern end of the Res. i knew better than to fish deer creek, i hate fishing lakes as it is..but deer creek it terrible, too many people, not enough fish.

scott

19. I had a blue tackle bag but jeans not shirts, the only other people I seen were in a small boat and some people that cam down the rocks behind me. I didn't fish there too long, 30min maybe

20. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

oh...i was there around 3pm for about an hour..i saw a guy walk down from the top right hand corner and started casting lures in the rip-rap.

scott