close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer Creek Update

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by whitebass, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Just got back from Deer Creek. Got 2 quillbacks and a small channel catfish, they all hit the jig and were not snagged. I think they are tired of this cold weather too, so they were hitting my small jigs under a bobber. I did see a few small saugeye caught off the wall, 8-12 " at best. It was still pretty crowded when I left around 11am. Might go back through the week. I did talk to a few that said the same as everywhere else" Started catching them good b-4 the last cold spell". It has too warm up soon, spring is about a week away.
    Bryan :D

2. Those quillbacks give you a nice fight dont they? Kinda fun after you have caught a few small saugeyes.

3. That's what I caught first. At first I thought I had a big whitebass. But It was still a good fight.
    Bryan

4. You just never know what you will get below the spillway. I have caught smallies, large mouth, saugeye, white bass, crappie, sunfish, catfish, carp, suckers, rockbass and even saw a guy with a spoonbill once. Good place to fish if its not too crowded. You fish there much?

5. I go down there all the time. I ilve in grove city, so it's omly a 30 minute ride. I seem to do pretty good down there when a lot of spots are dead. I just have certain spots below that are better than others for me. Sometimes I go down below, fish a couple of spots within an hour or so, and then leave if nothing is going on. I'm off thursday, so I'll probably be down below there somewhere.
    Bryan

6. you guys are getting me itchin' to go!!!!

7. Hey Dave, I would also be willing to give Deer Creek a try for some eyes during the week of spring break. Probably be the one of the few species active during break. I should be open any time during that week.

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

>even saw a guy with a spoonbill once.

Yesterday I saw a picture of a spoonbill caught there. VERY large fish!

9. Yes the spoonbills can get huge! I have never caught one myself but hear of several being caught there every year. I dont think you can keep them but I have seen pictures of them at a few bait shops around the lake that were taken at the bait shop. I'll check the regs and see what its says about them.

10. I checked the regs on the DNR site and couldnt find any special regs for paddlefish so I guess if you catch you can keep it if you want.

11. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Paddlefish are protected and may NOT be kept.

We have snagged a couple over the years at Deer Creek. They are really neat looking fish and very big and strong.

12. That is what I thought but there was nothing I could find in the regs about it. I guess there are people that dont know that cause I've seen the pictures at the bait shop. You would think the people that own the bait shop would know and spread the word.

13. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

If you are talking about Mary's, all of the pictures you see will show them down by the damn and the fish were released. They know that they are protected.

I believe they fish for and keep them in KY, but I don't know the details

14. Not talking about Marys, one of the other ones down there. Seen several pictures of fish that were taken outside the bait shop. Can you even take them out of the water? I heard that you could not even touch them.

15. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I'm just not sure anymore. I know that there used to be signs at Deercreek saying that the paddlefish was protected, but I don't see anything anywhere on the ODNR site that discusses the possesion of paddlefish.

Looks like we need to call the ODNR

16. What ever the laws may be they are amazing fish. I would love to catch one so I could take an up close look at one. I bet they put up a heck of a fight.

17. I sent an email to the DNR asking if they were protected or not. I'll post when I hear back from them.

18. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

If you ever get to see one up close I think you'll like it, I sure did. Thier gill covers are awesome

19. Are they every caught at any other dams in central Ohio? I hear of them being caught at Deer Creek and in the Ohio River but not any place else. I would think they would be in any creek that drains into the Scioto.