close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

deer creek spillway

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jason78, Jan 20, 2009.

1. jason78

jason78 luvtofish

Went to deer creek today (1/20/09) I got there about 9 am was the only person there for about a hour I fished the wall because water was so low but i caught about 30 saugeyes mostly 10 -12 inches did get four keepers i say there was about 15 people there by 2 pm everyone fishing the wall was catching fish:G :G

2. Nice catch on a mucho cold day :) sure beats a good day at work:mad:
    Where they still hitting pink twister tails ?

3. jason78

jason78 luvtofish

i caught them on pink white and green

4. Thanks for the info, keep on catchen them :B

5. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Nice day!

Do you guys use a heavy jig head or lighter? I've never had any freaking luck with saugeyes >.< and I'm getting horrible cabin fever!!

6. jason78

jason78 luvtofish

i was using two 1/16 ounce plain jig heads

7. Glad to here it's turning around! Ya did a lot better than me, and I fished off the wall with pink on Monday. My efforts only amounted to One, and it wasn't very big!

8. gobrowntruck21

gobrowntruck21 -Brady-

I fished it this afternoon (wed 1/21) for a couple of hours and caught four keepers using a single 3/8 chartreuse jig with a pink grub. I missed at least a few more. Didn't try any other colors or tippin w/a minnow. Everyone I saw was catching fish. With the weather warming up a bit the next few days, I wonder what it'll do to the fishing?

9. jason78

jason78 luvtofish

did you fish the wall brown and how many people were there

10. gobrowntruck21

gobrowntruck21 -Brady-

Yea I fished the wall. I was a loner on the east side though, facing the wind. There were probably 7 or 8 on the opposite side and a couple down at the base on each side.

11. Thinking of going tonight around 9......Anyone think it would be worth it?

12. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

good question johnson, i was thinking about going tomorrow after dark.

13. Had a buddy call me tonight and tell me he caught about 20 between 5 and 7 PM tonight. Only one was worth keeping to his standards. Sounds like the bite is on but only catching small ones. Were plannin on hittin it tomorrow night. Hope to see ya there Clayton.

14. jason78

jason78 luvtofish

fished today (1/22) i caught around 40 to 50 from 9am to 3 pm mostly 10-12 inches did get 6 keepers 17-19 inches did see the game warden get a guy for snagging a couple of catfish and not having a license

15. A GAME WARDEN ! busting people for SNAGGING at DEER CREEK!!!
    It must be a cold winter because hell has frozen over.

16. If you cant follow the rules then you deserve everything you get. I give every ounce of respect to them for doing their jobs.

17. gobrowntruck21

gobrowntruck21 -Brady-

I was wondering the "standards" for keepers. What in your minds is keeper status? Last time I was out I kept 4 fish 11-14". It made a meal for my pregnant wife so I was happy! If I fish for three hours in the cold at deercreek I'm keeping anything I catch over 10" but thats just me. Is there an unwritten rule I don't know? If so, what do you base your slot limit on? I know they grow fast, but saugeye are a stocked "meal" fish right?

18. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Maybe you will :) and hell, if all the fish are under 12", I'll just bring my 5' ultralight spinning rod with the 6 lb test lol. Gotta keep it fun :)

19. My "standards" for a keeper is anything over 15". I say this because that's the length limit for a keeper walleye in Ohio, and the population of large saugeye can't really be increased by keeping the little ones. I'm not bashing anyone who does, because saugeye are raised with Ohio tax dollars, put into Ohio public waters, and there's no length limit, so it's really a matter of choice. I just choose to do it this way for conservation.

20. Well everyone does have their own standards but for me around 12" is about the smallest I like to keep. Most of the time I toss them all back because I would rather stay and fish later instead of going home earlier to clean fish. But I do love a good fish fry so I'll keep a few limits every once in a while. I may try to get over there tonight!