Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tackleboys
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Back at it again with another one. Met up with my father-in-law Tom Kirker over at Deer Creek Spillway. They released a bunch of water in the afternoon which churned the waters and shut down the bite pretty hard. We ended up catching 3 Saugeye. We saw several other fishermen slaying crappie. Fished with green/pink twistertails and small white marabou jigs tipped with minnows.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
it was good to see odnr show up. Good Vid. I am sure I'll enjoy seeing more.

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
I was a little worried that you kept a short. The wardens are really grumpy when you do. Thanks for sharing gents!
No such thing as a "short" below deer creek. I set my self about a 12" limit below there. Just a personal thing though. I prefer the little ones when I rarely do eat them. Same goes with a few central Ohio lakes to. Where there is no size limit. It's all in the regulations booklet they come out with each year (also available online).

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
I was a little worried that you kept a short. The wardens are really grumpy when you do. Thanks for sharing gents!
No such thing as a "short" below deer creek. I set my self about a 12" limit below there. Just a personal thing though. I prefer the little ones when I rarely do eat them. Same goes with a few central Ohio lakes to. Where there is no size limit. It's all in the regulations booklet they come out with each year (also available online).
No such thing as a "short" Saugeye below any Spillway. Same thing with Crappie. Once they come over the Dam the size limit is null and void. Lots of confusion on this matter.

Personally, I love 12-15" Saugeye, about the closest thing to Yellow Perch you can get. I have no problem keeping a stringer or two every year (I don't eat fish much), especially given how many 21"+ I religiously release without a second thought.

That said, I'll still get some dirty looks from time to time like Im doing something wrong :D

·
S.S Mud Dobber
613 Posts
I agree with both Saugeye and Ack. In my opinion there isn't anything better then a stringer of 12-15 n fish as eaters every once in a awhile. What gets me going is when the "old timers" down there snag them by there asses and drag them up the wall and toss them in their buckets....that's a whole other dead horse though.

·
Tackleboys
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks for all of the feedback and support guys! I'll be posting a part 2: how to clean and cook Saugeye here in a day or so! I'll be sure to let you know when it's up (although I'm sure you'll all be able to teach me a thing or two on the matter).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts