close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer Creek Res,

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by RiverRat, Mar 30, 2005.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I hit the Res. Yesterday & today.....man what tough fishing.
    Yesterday the Res. was filling fast..the creek as WAY over its banks and was pouring into the half empty Res.
    I hit a cove that i knew the carp would be in......as i sat up my gear there was carp crashing everywhere...jumping, rolling...as far as the eye could see, i thought i was in carp heaven....but as some of us know for every heaven there is a hell!!
    I hit this spot for 5 hrs. only a few bumps on the Delkims, i threw regular sweetcorn, 20 different flavors...nothing!
    I had one small carp jump out of the water under my rod tips and came with in inches of hiting my left hand rod....it was like salt in an open wound!!
    All day i chummed this spot and before i left i chummed it again.
    Also..i moved my pod up the bank atleast 6 times as the water was rising a foot an hour this day.

I returned today around 9:30a only to find 2 "fair" weather, push button fisherman(man & women) in my spot...the water had rose atleast 20-30ft up the bank. I had to sit in another spot and wait them out...FINALLY at around 1pm they got bored and left...i did see the lady catch a few small carp probably on nightcrawlers...of course in the midle of my chum!!
    I got set up and got some action right away...but only small ones. There were no carp jumping or rolling today, maybe the wind had some effect? It was blowing right in my face...i prefer this wind direction, but it didnt bring the fish my way....atleast the size i was after.
    I ended the day around 4pm because i was bored of the small fish and called it a day.

Guess thats what i get for fishing a place like Deer Creek...i hate fishing lakes as it is, but Deer Creek ranks pretty low on my list...i should have known better!!!

Good luck to all the venture out.....if only the Scioto r. was not blown out i would of had a great day!!

Scott

2. try below the dam in the spillway, I've always done pretty good there

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

man...ive fished the dam back in the day, too many idiots....it aint for me, but thanks.

scott

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

well..me and cwcarper went to antrim to do a check and see type carping.. i got a hell of a neckache from lookin around too much.. i sat and watch dogs after dogs swimming rightby cw lines.. lol..i hiked over across the lake and saw bass sunning itself along with lots of small bluegills..
    went to do my rounds of chumming again today before the gas hiked up..
    so to sum it up..its a great day out running around..not so great on catching..i'll take those 1lber anyday.. :)

5. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

tuesday i drove all the way to clark lake only to be paylaked all day.. :rolleyes:

6. I am surprised the fish were not cooperating more. It is so difficult sitting in an office for 10 hours when It was such a nice day outside and especially knowing that this weekend. when I have time off it is so supposed to be cold possibly snowing.

Good luck guys.

Scott, I have seen many carp rolling in coves there also. It would seem like they would be some good carp fishing if you could figure them out.

marc

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

drove right past you today on my way to work Scott, around 11am....I looked down at the cove and saw someone fishing with real long rods. Kind of unusual for that spot..Guys I work with claim to catch alot of carp at the marina at deer creek.

8. catking

catking Banned

It does take a little more effort to figure out lake carp, for the most part. I've seen it too. Tons crashing and none hitting :rolleyes: ... But , once you do find their secret, it's awsome fishing . Stonelick is a GREAT example . I know there are 30 and 40 pounders in that lake, and when we had a CAG carp in , all the skilled carpers couldn't get a fish, except for crappielooker , he caught seven I do believe :eek: I LOVE the lakes, as the skill involved in getting a thirty pound plus , makes it that much more worth while.... My Opinion.......... THE CATKING !!!

9. flathunter

Lets just hope the scioto does not stay blown out all spring

10. flathunter

So why are lake carp so much harder to catch.

11. catking

catking Banned

They are wiser. Really, it's that simple. They spook easier , and have seen about every trick thrown their way in their lifetime. And we all know carp are very intelligent . If as many people fished the wild rivers as much as lakes, you probably would have the same results. I will be the first to admit that lakers are harder to catch than river , but that's the reason I fish lakes. Heck, I go down my river and catch 3-4 carp in an hour, some in the 20 pound range . I go to the private lake, where 40 pounders have been weighed and verified, and sit for a freakin day before I get one, if I'm lucky. But, it's usually a big one........... One oldtimer fishes the private lake I fish , and has 2-30's and 2 40's under his belt :eek: This year, I plan on getting that 40 common ............ :D .......................done got the 40 grassy .. :rolleyes: ........ THE CATKING !!!

12. ...not to mention carp are quite a bit more confined in a river system (unless we're talking the BIG rivers like the OHIO). Fish are much more likely to be confined in one area on a river...it all just depends on whether you can get to this area or not. On a lake, a carp's favorite hangout might be well out of reach for bank fishermen...and even if productive areas are within reach, the areas may be so large that the fish could be spread out all over the place.

13. I think the only reason lake fishing is harder than rivers is for the same reason CW said. Those carp could be around a tree in the middle of the lake way out of distance from any bank angler. I think rivers are easier also because with the current in rivers. Your chum gets a much better scent spread and the effect of that chum is intensified. Carp in rivers arent hard to pattern but if you don't know the patterns you might as well just pick a spot and pray. I will say this though, a 20lb river carp and a 20lb lake carp caught in same water temp there is no comparison, the river carp is a much stronger fish and will give you a much tougher battle. Thats why I love rivers! a 10lb carp will fight ya like a 25lber in a lake.

jake

14. I may have to start carp fishing again this year

15. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

'king....LOL....LOL...no comment, nice shot though..i'll let that one slide since your a Mod! But only this time!

Jack, no kidding...forgot you go that way to work..small world, yea i was the IDIOT fishing the cove at Deer Creek...man i fished that lake many times back in the day and caught tons of channel cats, but nothing of real size, never cared for that puddle. Again i should have known better. I bet if i used nightcrawlers i could have caught a ton more smallones..lol.

As for the lake vs river thing...no comparison, lake fish are lazy and picky...river fish are aggressive and hit baits eagerly because the next meal might not come around for awhile(moving water moves food too).....i just dont care for the lake type of fishing...it gets boring and if your a bank angler your missing out on 90% of the fish a big lake offeres...rivers are simple...riffle , hole run.....all 3 produce fish during certain times of the year and certain conditions..lakes, heck flip a coin and pray!!

#1 for me is to catch fish...i spend my time on a water system that will produce the most action..its RIVERS for me, weather some think its EASY or not...lol..i know MANY that cant catch squat from rivers, but can from lakes...im the other way around!!

Catch big or go home ....love that saying!!

Scott

16. catking

catking Banned

I delivered a shot at you Scott? Just where in the hell do you see that :confused: You have got to quit reading more into replys than what is there. Hey, I'm not even getting into this with you or anybody else. I just don't see what you are talking about . An opinion of mine that doesn't agree with yours and all the sudden I'm taking a shot at you ? If I want to take a shot at you Scott, you will know it . I see where I said it takes a little more effort to figure out lake carp...... SO WHAT ??? Listen up Scott, I'm not getting into this with you. Me being a MOD, which I am NOT , has nothing to do with any of this. You had better quit thinking people are against everything you do. We have been down this road before, and we will NOT head that way again.......... Good Carping . Rick