close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deer Creek below the dam

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by gonefishin', Dec 25, 2004.

1. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what's happeing below the dam. We were thinking about heading down there next weekend to try for some saugeyes since we don't have the sense God gave a goose.

You can cast really far this time of year but the bait just sits on the ice. I don't think I have this ice fishing thing figured out yet.

2. Any Paddlefish sightings?!?!?

3. Here is the simplist way to fish in ice. Use a BIG SINKER to get through the ice. I find a 10 pound slegde hammer head to work the best. Just take out the handle and place on your line. Oh yea remember to use heavy enough line, say 2 pound test trilene work ok for me. You may not want to be on the ice when you make the cast though, ice seems to crack weird.
    just triing to help. :D

4. I was down there yesterday 12-29 and so were quite a few others with the same idea. I did manage to catch 5 shad and a small cat. One person I talked to told me he managed to land 2 small saugeyes and some cats early in the morning, I was there after 10. Maybe the night bite would be better. The ice on the ground made it ruff to get to the water,but with the warm up it mght be easier this weekend. Good luck.

5. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Thanks Walter,I was thinking along those lines, I'll give that a try. Great minds think alike.
    I was at Deer creek on 1-1-05. Lots of guys trying but no catching that I could see. I managed to snag a gill about 8 inches long and we saw one guy lose a good one. Lots of small shad floating and swimming around stunned from their white water trip. I assume they were full of those shad, eh?
    A fella could stock up on dead shad that's for sure.