close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deep water ice

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by crooked stripe, Jan 25, 2005.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

I don't have that much experience in the ice fishing thing. I have noticed not to many people fishing far from shore. I tried testing the ice west of CLR this morning and keep falling through just feet from shore. Is this normal for this area? Went to Nimi and seen the same thing. Is it normal to have to drill a test hole every 5', when close to shore is 4"? After testing the ice east of CLR last and this week I think I have turned Chicken. John

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

better to be chicken than.......??????

what a weird season.....the ice is SO unpredictable.....this is really unfortunate :(

still breaking through close to shore certainly isnt a good sign....

that big warm up we had, now coupled with all this insulating snow...not good!

gotta be super cautious out there...so hard to tell.....impossible to predict, from spot to spot, lake to lake, day to day!!!

ive noticed what BD brought up a few days ago.....even on super cold days the ice is silent....thats almost become more unnerving to me than hearing all the popping and pinging noises.

the only good thing ive personally noticed is that the fish seem eager to bite.

3. It Has Been A Bad Year All Around. High Spring Levels Preventing A Good Hatch,quick Turn-overs,wack A Weeds And Now Its Bad Ice. Last Year This Time It Matter Where You Drilled Just Wether There Were Any Fish. Every Lake Is Forming Ice Different To The Next. The Best Case Is That Some Of The Wind Might Of Blew The Snow Off Before The Cold Snap. One Thing To Look. Two Is Avoid The Bays After A Warm Rain Because They Do Change.seasonal!
    Most Of All Take A Life Vest. If U Dont Use It Someone Else Might! ;) I Fished Alot Of Deep Strip Cuts But We Would Wait Till Late Winter Or Early Spring.

4. If you go out, be safe. I suggest everyone watch that video again, and follow safety guidelines listed in a previous post. I'd stay close to shore, go with a friend, wear a PFD, have a good 30' of rope with a loop in one end to aid in getting you or someone else out if needed. DO NOT GO ALONE.

Stay off large, open expanses. The snow on top isn't allowing for good freezing. It's thin guys. I've been out but been extremely careful, even on the skinny ice I was on. If you see water coming up into your footprints, don't stop walking...head to shore.

5. There Used To Be A Time That The Deeper Water Held The Colder Water There For Making Better Ice. We Dont See Much Of That Anymore. The Last Couple Years Have Change Alot Of Things. :)