close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

deep v question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by esoxhunter, Jun 4, 2007.

1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

I recently got a 1961 Lone Star that I intend to use for trolling on Alum Creek. At higher speeds, the front end lifts up and the "V" portion of the hull barely touches the waves leaving the flatter bottom to pound all the chop making for a rough ride. I already have a hydro-foil on the Johnson 60 and I was wondering what else I could do. Any suggestions ?
    Was thinking about adding weight to the front of the boat....like a few bags of lead shot or something. Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if you can't trim the motor down any further,adding weight to the front would help.

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

remove the foil. install smart tabs www.nauticusinc.com check ebay for them too.

i did and no more bowrise:D yes, you can add some weight to the bow, but you will lose fuel mileage. you can also move your battery and fuel to the front.

4. esoxhunter

thanks for the input guys!
    the smart tabs intrigue me. I really dont want to drill more holes in this old boat, but they do look like a great product.

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

As Rick said, if you have tilt on your motor, Tilt it down to lower the front, tilt it up to raise the front.

6. esoxhunter

my motor has 5 levels of tilt or trim. It was on the 4th notch. Its all the way down now. I'll see if that helps.
    thanks!

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

it will help greatly.