Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another thread going about reef runner colors and it got me thinking about the sizes of baits....

im stocking up on cranks for the fall bite around huron and the spring bite around the cans

i know im probably over thinking this big time but is there a time and place for the 600 series baits or would getting mostly 800s be just fine?

any input would be appreciated

thank you

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I know others use dlr's in a few more situations but when the spoon bite is good in the later spring we use them to eliminate the trash fish associated with spoons. They work well for that and put fish in the boat. Most other times it is 800's for us.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
661 Posts
There are days where the wally want a smaller profile, and days where they want a larger profile. I've caught em over 11lbs on the ripshads when the smaller wally went after the 800 series, and that was in Nov. You just never know. Let the fish tell you what they want and if you listen, you will be rewarded.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,422 Posts
10 days out of 10 you will catch fish on deep hj's and 800's. I have some smaller baits but hardly run them they will catch but won't out catch the bigger ones if your depth and speed are right

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Out east here we start with larger baits when the fish are in shallow and feeding on larger gobies, steelhead smolts, small perch, ect... then change over the smaller profile once the fish move offshore and suspend into their emerald shiner diet...then move back to larger baits towards the end of the year when the fish get very deep and start feeding on larger smelts..

Always worked for us...800 reefs have always been a good lure...

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
I use smaller lures when the fish are hitting short or coming off, or fishing shallower. The off fish will often take the smaller lures.

But if i needed both 800 and 600, id get the 800 first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts