Deep Freezer Smell Help!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish-N-Fool, Jul 7, 2005.

1. I stored my deep freezer at my Dad's place for the last 2 years. I picked it up this weekend and evidently his power had gone out for over a day sometime last year. He has a generator for the house, but my frezer was out in the barn :mad:

Long story short it was full of spoiled, refrozen meat with a pool of nasty blood 1/8'' deep and it reeks!

I discarded the meat, hosed it out, cleaned it 2 times with a bleach/water solution, 1 time with over the counter cleaners, and have put 2 boxes of baking soda in it. The smell has backed waaaaaaaaaaaaay off, but it still stinks too bad to load with food.

I would like to avoid making this into a bait only freezer - any ideas?

2. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Use a scent remover that is made for deer hunters. Use the body wash first a couple times. Then spray it down with the cover scent. Should take care of it.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Make sure the inside of the freezer is dry. Dump a five pound can of ground coffee inside it, and shut the lid for a few days.

You wouldn't believe how coffee absorbs odors.

4. You may have a drain at the bottom of the freezer. This drain may have bood in it.

I am thinking I would wipe it down with bleech. But I don't know if that would hurt anything.

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

You should have sold the meat to a catfisherman!

6. Thanks guys!

Lewser - I spend 90% of my time fishing for cats; this stuff made stink bait smell like fowers!LOL I'd rather take a bath in shad oil.

I think I'll try the coffee thing.