close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deep diver set-up?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rooster, May 21, 2008.

1. I’m looking to go deep for BIG bass this year. I’m looking for a set-up that will make using Norman DD22’s and other DEEP divers a little more comfortable.

I’m pretty set on using a Loomis CBR847, but I still have not decide on a reel and line. I’m a big fan of the Curado, and I’m considering a 300DSV. However, I would like to get some input on a good reel for this application (the rod would only be used for deep crankbaits).

Also, I always use braid with moving baits, but in the past I have had issues with 30LB Power Pro digging into the spool when using deep divers. Would moving to 50LB eliminate this issue?

Thanks!

2. Bad Bub

Bad Bub Pushin' Tin

my suggestion would be to go with a 5:1 ratio reel, atleast a 7' rod with a mod. action and ditch the braid! i've found that 10-12 lb. flourocarbon will give you the deepest running potental of any line you can buy. i use p-line halo in 10 lb. and a 7' gander mtn. brand crankin' rod (glass). paired with a 5:1 quantum energy reel. never had an issue with this set-up and can bomb it a country mile. the rod only costs about $30.00 and i own 2. might be the best glass rod for the money.