Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know someone has made a post about this, but my items are different and i may have a different approach, so sorry if i offend anyone with a repeated post but here it goes. im "new" to using bait casters. iv been a spinning reel guy forever but would like to start using a bait caster. iv went through and looked at several different bait casters and have now narrowed it down to a dew but each i have different questions about. the few i have narrowed it down to are

Quantum KVD signature series
Bass pro pro qualifier
Browning Citori
Diawa TD Pro
Shimano Citica

most of these reels very in bearings. and i was wondering how much that mattered in a bait caster. iv also heard that Diawa isnt made like they are used to. that the TD series is cheap junk. but each has their pros and cons like everything else. just liking to get some input from you guys who have used them and seen how they perform.

·
Ohio Bassman
499 Posts
1 more vote for the Citica. You are correct about the Daiwas. I love Daiwa, but you've gotta spend about $180 to get a nice reel from them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was leaning twords that or the browning, and the KVD, thoes were my top 3 choices. my biggest question was, the citica has the fewest bearings, to wear the KVD has 10 bearings. are the bearing much of a difference when you get good weight on it? or are the fewer bearing in the citica better than the 10 in the quantum. also i hear the quantums have a bad history of the button sticking and breaking eaisly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Go with the Citica. I don't own one (I made a mistake last time I bought a new reel), but I know quite a few guys who have one. It will hold up under a lot of use, is smooth as butter and works beautifully. I think the higher you get on the number of bearings, the less it really means. I also understand having the right number of weights in the reel clicked "on" is important. Most seem to find 4 on and two off is very versatile and covers most uses.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
For the ones on your list I would definitely go with the Citica. I think people read too far into the bearings. You might also want to check out the Revo Series some nice baitcasters too. But once again the first 3 reels on your list doesnt match up anywhere near the Citica.

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
The number of bearings is not as important as the quality of bearings. Get a reel with ABEC rated bearings (that list will probably have ABEC 5 at the highest). A bunch of crappy bearings just means they will fail faster. A few quality bearings means they will last a long time with proper lubrication.

The Shimano Citica is a good reel. The Pro Qualifier is a good reel. The rest of them are short-timers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey man, I own one of the new Citica reels and its a great value for the price at 119.99. If you can afford it, the Curado e700 model is even better. I have both of them and i can say i definitely made a good decision in purchasing them. I have seen some good deals for the curado on ebay for new curado reels selling for 149.99 with free shipping. Im sure the citica would be even cheaper on there. Hope this info helps you out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
id love to get the curado, buddy of mine told me hed sell me his for $75 if i wanted it, but its almost 3 years old so i dunno, but im definatly looking at the citica unless the curado goes on sell very soon

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
id love to get the curado, buddy of mine told me hed sell me his for $75 if i wanted it, but its almost 3 years old so i dunno, but im definatly looking at the citica unless the curado goes on sell very soon
The Curado D is a very nice reel. If he has taken care of it (lubed and cleaned it), then that might be a nice option. You can always upgrade it by putting new spool bearings on, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts